John Green Tells Graduates That Adulthood Is Terrible

By Taylor Lang - Jun 01 2016

Kenyon College asked John Green if he would talk to students for commencements and tell them that adulthood is not actually as bad as it seems. According to Huffington Post, he didn't do exactly that; in fact, he did the opposite.

If anything, it is far worse than I could even have imagined. I mean, have you ever been to a homeowners’ association meeting? Each of you in the Class of 2016 is wondrous and precious and rare life in a vast and almost entirely dead universe — imagine devoting two hours of your bright but brief flicker of consciousness to a debate over whether the maximum allowable length of grass in your neighborhood’s front lawns should be 4 inches or 6.

John Green graduated from Kenyon College in 2000. He told the graduates that his liberal arts degree gave him the skills of listening, which comes in handy when adults talk about things that really don't matter.

“All of it, actually — from the electricity bills to the job where your coworkers call themselves teammates even though this isn’t football for God’s sake — all these so-called horrors of adulthood emerge from living in a world where you are inextricably connected to other people to whom you must learn to listen,” Green said. 

You can see his full speech below.

Personally, I think that it is refreshing change of pace for an adult to be honest and say, "You know what? Adulthood kind of sucks." Because, let's be honest. We all know that we really don't want to become adults. It is just one of those things that we have to become. But, at least he admits that college helped him in adulthood!

Lead Image Credit: Youtube