Community Colleges Are Struggling When it Comes to Mental Health Resources

By Taylor Lang - Mar 06 2016

Students at community colleges are struggling to find resources in order to help with mental illnesses. A report published by the Healthy Minds Network at the University of Michigan and the Wisconsin HOPE Lab at the University of Wisconsin at Madison found that while 50% of students have at least one mental illness, only 30% state that they take medication or use therapy.

One of the biggest issues with this is that 90% of community colleges do not have psychiatrics on campus in order to support their students. Even more concerning, 60% of community colleges do not have any resources for suicide prevention.

How is it that students at community colleges have a higher chance of a mental illness, and yet the colleges do not have resources for their students? At four-year colleges, students are less likely to have mental illnesses, yet 58% of these colleges have services in order to help students with their mental wellness. 

With an overall increase in the mental illnesses of students, it is hard for colleges to keep up with their resources in order to help. But it is definitely clear that community colleges are in need of an increase in funding to support health and provide students the resources that they need.

Lead Image Credit: Flickr