Display 114 e1460050067525

High School Senior Creates Invention To Clean Polluted Water

By Taylor Lang - Apr 09 2016

Paige Brown, a senior from Bangor High School, has created a cheap and effective tool that can remove phosphorous from polluted water, according to NextShark.

The device is created using a styrofoam block, 2 hair clips, seaweed gel, aluminum, and magnesium. It not only removes phosphorus from the water, but it adds the removed nutrients to soil as a fertilizer. It can improve the water quality of places all over the world in order to give more people access to better water.

NextShark

Brown’s ingenuity has won her the Global Good Prize as well as a $150,000 scholarship from Intel’s Science Talent Search.

“It was definitely quite the experience,” Brown told Tech Insider. “I’d say it was the best week of my life.”

Brown is still undecided about where she wants to go to college, but she has been accepted to Stanford, Caltech, Harvard, MIT, Columbia, and Yale.

NextShark

It just goes to show you that some of the hardest problems that our world is facing can be combated using ingenuity and science. Congrats to Brown on her incredible invention.

Lead Image Credit: NextShark