Display lixo recicla vel ufrn

Garbage Workers Are Getting Paid More Than Some Jobs That Require A College Degree

By Taylor Lang - Feb 25 2016

Some garbage workers are being paid higher than some jobs that need a higher education. Two garbage men in New York City, Noel Molina and Tony Sankar, earn $112,000 and $100,000 a year, respectively, according to a new article by CNN.

Both men have been working as garbage men for about a decade and work the night shift in all conditions. They have seen some crazy things in peoples' garbage, but to them, the money is worth it despite the smell.

On average, garbage men make $40,000 a year. To put it in perspective, the average salary for someone who dropped out of highschool, like both Molina and Sankar, is $20,241.

In comparison, the starting annual salary of a studio art major is $36,000. Drama majors have an average starting salary of $35,800 and a degree in the culinary arts will only get you a starting salary of $34,400. Even well known degrees like journalism, elementary education, and social work have starting salaries in the lower to mid $30,000 range.

Granted, these are the starting salaries, so there is a lot of room for growth. But next time you're bored in your 8 a.m. lecture, think about the possibility of changing your ideal job to garbage person. Just make sure you buy nose plugs first!

Lead Image Credit: Wikicommons