Display 1capture2 e1467048976546

These College Students Found An Ancient Civilization In Illinois

By Taylor Lang - Jun 28 2016

Imagine being in a cornfield with some of your friends, and then finding the remnants of an ancient civilization! According to WGNTV, this happen to some college students in Illinois!

Indiana University students were in a cornfield near the Sangamon River when they began to find pieces of pottery and spear points. According to Indiana Archaeology Professor Jeremy Wilson, they found:

Arrow heads or what we refer to projectile points. Different types of pottery, so from storage pots to cooking pots, to plates and bowls. The same thing you would find in your cupboards today.

Scientists and archaeologists are using remote sensing to figure out how big the ancient village is and to find more artifacts. Congrats to these students for finding one of the biggest discoveries in the Illinois River Valley!

Lead Image Credit: WGNTV