A One-Person Graduation Ceremony Took Place At The University of Northern Iowa

By Taylor Lang - May 14 2016

Carley Johnston was late to her graduation because her plane had a malfunction that cancelled her flight. According to Huffington Post, she was in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania for a job hunt when the cancellation caused her to miss her graduation ceremony.

The Des Moines Register

Johnston called her family to tell them that she was not going to be able to make it to walk across the stage and told her mentor at the University of Northern Iowa. The staff member talked to others at the college, and they decided to hold a ceremony just for her when she was able to get on a flight.

The graduation song was played from an iPhone, according to Today.com. Johnston was able to walk across the same stage that the other graduates did and received her master of arts degree.

“There were a lot of tears,” Scott Ketelsen, director of university relations, told Today.com. “It was just so much fun. And you know, she deserves it. There was never a question if everybody would stay [for Johnston’s ceremony].”

Knowing that students put in a lot of effort and hard work for this moment, the staff were more than happy to make this day memorable.

Congrats to Johnston on graduating, and to all of the professors who were able to make her special day happen!

Lead Image Credit: University of Northern Iowa via Huffington Post