A New Study Shows Just How Prevalent Drugs And Alcohol Are In College

By Taylor Lang - May 27 2016

A shocking report was released by the U.S. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), according to the Los Angeles Times. The main takeaway: drugs and alcohol are still very prevalent on college campuses.

Each day, about 1.2 million full-time students are drinking and 703,000 full-time students are using marijuana.

The estimates come from data collected between 2011 to 2014 by the National Survey on Drug Use and Health, which tracks substance use among Americans. About 25,400 college students participated in the survey, representing about 9 million full-time students and 2 million who take classes part-time.

Source: U.S. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration and @latimesraphics

In the past month, 13% of the students in the survey had participated in binge drinking. For women, binge drinking is four or more drinks; for guys, it starts at five drinks.

Marijuana is the most popular drug, but a lot of other drugs are being used. Cocaine, hallucinogens, and heroin are still commonly used by college students for the first time.

About 11,300 full-time college students used cocaine on an average day, 9,808 used hallucinogens such as LSD or ecstasy, and more than 4,500 said they used heroin. These figures included 447 first-time cocaine users and 649 who tried hallucinogens for the first time.

At the college age, our brains our still not fully developed. When considering health and brain function, it is crucial to know that drugs and alcohol still alter the neurological growth that is still occurring.

So, for all of the freshmen going to school in August, and all of the students returning, please remember to be safe and take care of your brain and body.

Lead Image Credit: Local beer; Richard Gillin via Flickr Commons