A Military University In Vermont Is Allowing Religious Headwear With Their Uniforms

By Taylor Lang - May 31 2016

Military colleges are usually very adamant about their strict dress codes. According to the Chronicle, Norwich University in Vermont is changing this rule.

One of their students is both female and Islamic; she was looking to wear a Muslim headscarf, also known as a hijab, with her uniform. The university said that they would allow the hijab as well as the jewish headwear, called yarmulkes, as a part of their uniforms.

Richard W. Schneider, Norwich’s president, said in a message cited by The Washington Post that “regardless of their spiritual or religious affiliation,” all students and employees should feel welcome there.

Military universities have not always been welcoming to different religions. The public military college in South Carolina outrightly stated that the wearing of a headdress would violate the dress code.

This progress of understanding religious practices as a part of the military dress code is one more step in the creation of a welcoming place for people of all different heritages and beliefs.

Lead Image Credit: US Federal Government via Wikimedia Commons