Display maxresdefault

10 Times Your Mom Was Right About College

By Taylor Lang - Dec 12 2015

Coming to college is no easy thing.  But for a lot of us, our moms tried to give us some good advice to help us make the best of freshman year.  Here are some of the most important times that Mom was right.

1. Sleep Is Important

Yes, sometimes we have to pull all nighters, but there is nothing more important than our sleep. The day after is just so bad...you are grumpy, tired, and you look back and realize that the paper you wrote at 4 a.m. is complete gibberish. Mom was right when she told us we should write our paper earlier so we could get some rest.

2. Dress For The Weather

It sucks to have to wear layer after layer of clothing to walk to class, but in the end, it is better than getting to class completely frozen like an icicle. Plus, then we usually end up getting sick.  There is a reason Mom sent that care package with hats, gloves, and scarves.

3. Too Much Caffeine Is Bad For You

A cup of coffee is great, but after two coffees, a red bull, three monsters, and a five hour energy, you will be completely jittery and off the walls...it kind of defeats the purpose of the caffeine to be able to get work done. Mom was right when she said to not have more than a few cups of coffee throughout the day and to eat breakfast first.

4. Food Is Always Important

When we are hungry, we tend to get headaches, and most of us get really grumpy. Yes, things get busy, but food is always super important. It is so much easier to work without the distraction of our rumbling stomachs. Unfortunately though, we don't have the luxury of Mom's cooking.

5. Take Time For Yourself

There are always going to be fifty bajillion things that have to get done, but it important that we take time to relax, or we might get super overwhelmed and overtired. Take the time to do something that you love, like coloring, hanging with friends, watching a movie, or curling up with a good book. Mother knows best.

6. Be True To Yourself

Especially as freshmen, a lot of us have thought about who we want to be known as now that we have gotten away from high school.  Mom has always said to just be ourselves.  Just make sure to be true to who you are, or you will find yourself in a lot of situations that don't make you comfortable. Whether you are social or prefer some solo time, want to party or curl up with a good book, or enjoy things like sports, anime, or Star Wars, say it with pride. It's a part of who you are.

7. Make Sure People Know That They Are Appreciated

It is always important to let people know that they matter to you or that they did something that really helped you out. By saying a simple thank you or writing a little note, you not only make that other person's day, but you are creating for yourself a reputation that can help you make positive connections in the field you want to go into. 

8. Do The Best You Can

No matter how many times things get incredibly tough, it always makes a huge difference to remember that we can only do the best that we can do. There will be a lot of challenges in college, but that means that when graduation day comes, we will be prepared for the real world after. Plus, Mom always has our back no matter how hard things get.

9. Stay In Touch

Our moms always want to know how we are and what we are up to. Once in a while make sure to call, write, text, email, or snapchat and keep her up to date. Plus, it is always nice to talk to someone who knows us probably better than we know ourselves.

10. Enjoy Your Time At College

Before I left for college, one of the most important things that my mom told me was to enjoy it. Sometimes we get caught up in everything that we have to do and all of the classes we are taking, but our time here at college will go quickly, so make sure to take each day one at a time and enjoy it all. Someday we will look back on these years and wish we could come back. Thanks, Mom, for helping us every step of the way.

I have an incredible mom, and I wanted to dedicate this article to her and all of the other moms out there who have done so much for us. I chose Winnie the Pooh, my mom's favorite Disney character, for the images as a special tribute. I love you, Mom!

Lead Image Credit: youtube.com and Disney Studios

Image Credits: giphy.com and Disney Studios