Display tumblr n1rrm5twgi1trod3jo1 500
by Taylor Elliott

A Thank You Letter To My Roommate

By Taylor Elliott - Jan 21 2016

Dear Shannon,

Thank you. I remember finding you on Facebook and thinking you were a gift sent from above because you were the only person still looking for a roommate, or, at least, it seemed like it. We both were late to the roommate search, but it’s okay. We found each other and haven’t looked back since. In the beginning it looked as if we only had one thing in common: we were both spring admits. Time together has proven that thought wrong. The thought of not having a traditional fall semester at USC was daunting, but you ended up being my saving grace. Without you, I don’t think I would have survived and loved my first semester as much as I did. There are so many things I could thank you for, but here are some that make you the awesome roommate you are.

Thank you for giving me your HBO password. If it weren’t for you, I would not have watched “The Newsroom” and decided to change my major to broadcasting and digital journalism. MAGGIE AND JIM FOREVER.

Thank you for dancing around our room with me during the wee hours of the night to Taylor Swift when I was stressed out. You knew exactly what to do when I was very close to pulling my hair out.

Thank you for stepping into the role of my mom and making me do my homework, even when Netflix was tempting me.

Thank you for not judging me when I ordered chipotle two times in one day because I wasn’t in a very good mood. I thought only burritos could cure my sadness and thankfully you passed no judgment on that.

Thank you for being my perfect half when it came to maintaining our apartment. You were always the one to clean and I was always the one to cook. We completed each other.

Thank you for being my family away from home and always being there when the homesickness hit hard. You and I made our room a home away from home and it made being away more fun than sad.

Thank you for reminding me that being a part of the USC family is more than just taking classes. I was still involved in school activities and meeting new people, which you reminded me was just as important to being a USC student as taking classes. I feel like I wouldn’t have made it through the semester had I not heard this from you multiple times.

Thank you for walking on campus with me almost every day and letting me marvel at how beautiful our campus is. Pretty sure anyone else would have gotten annoyed with me after a couple of days, but luckily you shared that same breathtaking feeling with me.

Lastly, thank you for being my rock and an amazing friend this semester. I never imagined growing as close to you as we are now. You made fall semester fly by and it was nowhere near as scary as I thought it would be. You have made me even more excited to start classes at USC. I can’t wait to take on spring semester with you by my side.

Love,

Taylor

Lead image credit: theoneandonlygossipgirl.tumblr.com

Taylor Elliott - University of Southern California