Display jordan whitt 78672 unsplash
by Sylvia Giltner

7 Tips for Hopeless Procrastinators

By Sylvia Giltner - Oct 17 2018
Staying concentrated on studying can be a tough thing to do, especially when you have trouble concentrating. Procrastinating is a problem that many students come across and it can really affect your studies and your grades if you don’t manage to keep it under control.

The good thing is that there are a few tips and tricks which can help you keep your procrastination under control and actually get some work done. Here are some of the best and easiest tips you can follow in order to start succeeding in your studies.

1. Keep your space organized.

One of the most important things you can do in order to help yourself procrastinate less is to keep your space organized. A room that is messy might make it hard for you to concentrate. This can especially apply if your studying space is messy.

The more things you have in your way, the more distracted you will end up being. Keep your desk in an order so that you’re able to find pens, papers or any other kinds of supplies whenever you need them and you’re bound to stay more focused.

“An organized space will also help you better organize your studying and work schedules and tactics,”  FlashEssay blogger James Daily says. The more in control you are of your personal space, the easier it will be for you to put your assignments in an order and finish them on time, without procrastinating.

2. Remove all distractions when you study.

Another reason why you might be procrastinating is that you have way too many distractions around you. The very next thing you should do after organizing your space is take away all possible distractions. The biggest distraction definitely has to be your phone, so the best thing you can do is put it on silent and leave it another room while you are trying to concentrate.

Besides your phone, you might want to keep any snacks away too, as well as your video game consoles if you have any. Your desk should only have the things you need for your studying, everything else will probably be a distraction.

3. Study at your college or local library.

A small tip for procrastinators is to not study at home. Your own apartment or room is going to be filled with your belongings and it is way more likely for you to be distracted. A great idea is to try studying at a local library or at your college library.

By being in an environment where other people are studying and being productive, you will be able to be motivated into being productive, too. Also, you will not be able to use your phone or watch videos on your computer since you will have to keep quiet. Therefore, everyone else will be able to study, too.

“Local libraries can be a great place to study or work when you wish to stay focused. Not only will you have enough quiet, you will also be able to use the Wi-Fi, which is usually faster than at your own apartment,” says Jessica Fender, editor of OnlineWritersRating.

4. Keep track of your progress.

Another thing that can help you stay more focused on your goal is to keep track of how far you have come. You might not think about it often, but everything you manage to achieve in your college years, whether that is a good grade on an exam or learning a new skill, is very important for your progress as a person and as a professional.

“The more you see how much effort you put into your studies or work, the more motivated you will be in order to keep trying and working hard,” advises Veronica Wright, HR at ResumesCentre. The best way to do this is to have a notebook in which you will write down everything you manage to do.

If you start to feel unmotivated, you can always go back to your notebook and just how much you have managed to accomplish and how much more you can achieve if you push yourself just a little.

5. Study with a friend.

Another very effective way to stop procrastinating is to not study on your own. When you are studying alone, you are way more likely to lose focus and start doing other things when you really should be studying.

When you’re studying with a friend, you will have to concentrate in order to show them things they haven’t understood. You'll also have to pay attention to them when they are teaching you something. This will be beneficial for both of you. You will not only stay focused, but you will also be able to perform better at the subjects you’re studying.

6.  Take notes.

One of the things that many procrastinators do wrong is taking notes. While you might be writing down important things from your lectures, notes can actually help you transform the way you study for the better.

The very first thing to do is to start keeping notes of everything important you come across when you study from your textbooks. Use colors, arrows, post-its and stickers in order to make your notes shorter and easier to read and understand.

The more you break down a difficult subject, the easier it will be for you to focus on studying it. Make your notes consistent and easy to understand. When you put time into making these notes yourself, you will not only remember a lot from writing them down, but you will also feel more compelled to study them later on in the semester.

7. Try online courses.

One of the things that can really help you deal with your procrastination is focusing your attention on something else. A great way to go about it is to study your different subjects through various courses you can find online. Visual content is usually very helpful when it comes to staying concentrated and studying through videos can be a great way of dealing with procrastination.

A great platform you can use to study from is Khan Academy. All the content and resources provided by this website are completely free and created by experts. You can find lessons for a course from math, to physics, history, arts and more. The lessons include educational videos and practice tests to help you master your knowledge.

Staying focused doesn’t have to be that hard. College is not like high school and you will come to find that procrastinating will really not help you keep your grades up in the long run. In order to pass exams successfully and become a proper professional, you will need to stay focused when you are trying to learn something new.

These tips will really help you by offering you some easy solutions in order to overcome procrastinating. Even if it’s something you have been doing throughout your school years, it is never too late to change your habits and help yourself become more successful with less effort.

Sylvia Giltner - Florida State University