by Syeda Anjum

The Zodiac Signs as Christmas Songs

By Syeda Anjum - Dec 23 2017

Christmas is just around the corner, so that means we’ll be stuck listening to the same holiday tunes for just a couple more days! And while there are a bunch of classics (and remixes) out there, we all have that one special song that we jam to during the holiday shopping. While there’s no real answer as to why we may choose “Jingle Bells” over “A Holly Jolly Christmas,” for example, it might still have to do with our own personal flare. Below are twelve Christmas songs that each Zodiac sign can easily connect with:

Aries: Carol of the Bells

Aries are known to be very dynamic and energetic. For this reason, they’re drawn to music that reflects their energetic rhythm. “Carol of the Bells” fits the bill for a whole bunch of reasons. The dynamics of this holiday classic grows with intensity throughout each round of the song. Not only that, but the consonants of each triplet are enunciated to resemble the sharp ding of a bell, which adds to its overall sprightly tone. 

Taurus: Run Rudolph Run

Taureans are strong-willed and enjoy experiencing the world through all the entertainment it offers. Consequently, it comes as no surprise that Taureans appreciate upbeat and jazzed-up tunes. Chuck Berry’s “Run Rudolph Run” embodies those very qualities by inspiring the audience to jump to their feet and tap along to the tune. The variety of beats and rhythmic swings this song offers will no doubt have a Taurean humming to this song all weekend.

Gemini: Jingle Bell Rock

“Jingle Bell Rock” is one of the most popular Christmas songs out there. It’s fun, upbeat and easy to sing along to while dancing with your best friend. Geminis are a huge fan of catchy pop music because it meshes well with their sociable personalities. They also enjoy old and new music alike, so long as the tune sticks around for a while. And knowing how many covers were made of this Christmas classic, “Jingle Bell Rock” certainly fits the bill. 

Cancer: Silver Bells

As a water sign, Cancers tend to be fairly emotional, which makes them very understanding and sympathetic. That’s why a Cancer is naturally drawn to soft music with emotional significance, essentially anything that ranges from romance to childhood memories. For this reason, “Silver Bells” would be the perfect song for them. Bing Crosby’s take on the song brings back those same nostalgic memories as he recounts the city’s sights and the holiday bustle through a slow, peaceful melody. 

Leo: All I Want for Christmas is You

Mariah Carey’s hit song turned out to be the new Christmas “anthem” ever since it came out in 1994. Not only is it upbeat and catchy, but it also sends a lot of love to the audience, which Leos are particularly good at. Moreover, “All I Want for Christmas” isn’t merely sung; it is performed. And with Leos already possessing an innate charisma, they can easily channel Mariah’s passion and gusto.

Virgo: Silent Night

“Silent Night” is a classic Christmas carol known for its slow and melodic lyrics. The song’s vibe resonantes well with Virgos, as they appreciate music that calms the nerves. Because Virgos are meticulous and diligent by nature, they tend to enjoy sounds that are smooth and gentle, which motivate them to work efficiently. So expect a Virgo to hum along to this carol as they finish up the last bit of work before Christmas. 

Libra: Santa Baby

Libras have a deep appreciation for harmony, making them very sociable and easy to communicate with. Not only that, but the sign is ruled by Venus so they enjoy pursuing and maintaining all forms of relationships. Because partnership plays a significant role in their lives, Libras tend to enjoy romantic music. Eartha Kitt’s “Santa Baby” aligns itself perfectly with those qualities as it is a slow classic with jazzed-up melodies. 

Scorpio: Baby it’s Cold Outside

Idina Menzel’s and Michael Bublé’s famous duet incorporate subtle dynamics both in the conversational lyrics and the shift between vocals. Scorpios appreciate melodies of this sort, which is why they’re drawn to music with deep harmonies. Scorpios are also very passionate so it’s no wonder that they have a soft spot for romantic songs. And as we all know, “Baby it’s Cold Outside” is an absolute classic as Christmastime’s favorite romance. 

Sagittarius: What Christmas Means to Me

Sagittarians are inherently inquisitive and are therefore drawn to discussions that stimulate contemplation. Stevie Wonder’s rendition of “What Christmas Means to Me” brings out that mediative approach in an implicit way. The song pulls together all the little things that really make up Christmas, and ultimately, the important details that define the happiness associated with the holiday. Saggitarians might really find themselves connecting to the lyrics as they play this song on rewind. 

Capricorn: Up on the Housetop

Capricorns are recognized for their practicality as well as their sense of responsibility towards relationships. Therefore, it comes as no surprise that Capricorns deeply value family and tradition. The Jackson 5’s cover of Gene Autry’s “Up on the Housetop” culminates those values as the family music group illuminates every kid’s excitement for Santa delivering holiday gifts. 

Aquarius: Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence

“Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence” is an enjoyable Christmas hymn, though not as popular as the typical mainstream jingle. As an air sign, however, an Aquarius would jump at the opportunity to give this song a listen. This is because they are inquisitive and adventurous, who enjoy pursuing new experiences and considering a myriad of possibilities. After listening to the original Catholic hymn, Aquarius are bound to listen to all the covers made of it.

Pisces: Last Christmas

As the last house of all the Zodiacs, Pisces draw in a bit of every quality from those preceding it, making the sign very intuitive and wise. Additionally, Pisces absolutely love music and are particularly fond of contemplative yet buoyant songs. “Last Christmas” definitely plays towards that end, being both a wistful and sentimental pop song. Even better, George Michael’s vocals brings an upbeat mood to this song, even as a gentle and smooth melody. 

While music taste varies from person to person, we all tend to appreciate songs that remind us of our own favorable traits and interests. The Zodiac signs just help narrow down what those qualities might be for everyone. Even if you haven’t heard the songs mentioned above in a while, now would be a great time to blast them at a holiday party and dance along to with friends and family. 

Syeda Anjum - Barnard College

Syeda Anjum is a freshman at Barnard College of Columbia University majoring in film studies with the pre-med track. She is a huge Harry Potter fan and she loves to spend her time tutoring kids. Syeda's hobbies include trying to maintain a bullet journal, watching gameplays on YouTube, and snuggling with cats.