Display anchorman jump
by Sunny Davis

How to Get Along with Your Roommates

By Sunny Davis - Aug 30 2015

There you are, eagerly staring at your computer, waiting for your school to finally release your roommates. This time when you refresh your browser, there they are: your room number for the year and the name of your roommates. So, what do you do first? How do you handle this new information? Do you email them right away? Do you look them up on all your social media platforms? Or do you wait for them to contact you? And what do you talk about when you do finally contact your roommates?

1. Be kind and open minded!

Make small talk! The inevitable “hi, how are you, where are you from, what is your major?” is a great way to spark a conversation as well as a great way to start getting to know your roommates.

2. Don’t be afraid to mention the living situation!

Chances are, all of you are wondering what it will be like living together for the next year. Ask your roommates when they like to go to sleep/wake up and feel free to share your schedules with each other. It is also a good idea to work out who will be bringing appliances like a refrigerator, microwave, etc.

3. Talk about decorating!

Dorm rooms can look like prison cells before everyone adds their personal touch to their space, but if you and your roommates want to take the extra step and coordinate things like your bedding, rugs, etc. before going dorm shopping, it’ll make your dorm room feel extra cozy and personalized! After all, everyone wants a cute dorm room and one that is well-decorated is sure to reel in the visitors!

4. Find out what you have in common!

Take the time to find out what your roommates like! You may be pleasantly surprised that they happen to like the same band or watch the same TV show as you! You never know until you ask, and it could give you guys something to talk about that way the first day living together isn’t as awkward!

Olive Bridge Entertainment

Now that you’re well-acquainted with your roommates, how will you actually live together?

5. Figure out a bathroom schedule!

If you are fortunate enough to have a private bathroom, talk to your roommates about shower times so that no one is late to their 8 am class because their roommate decided to wake up and take an early shower. Just remember that compromise is key: the schedule may not be ideal for you, but as long as it works, it’s good.

6. Talk about boundaries!

Now that you are sharing a room with other people, some space and some things may be off limits. Remember that it is okay to set these boundaries, just be polite!

7. Communicate!

Not only is it important to talk about boundaries, but you should let your roommates know if there is an issue, for example they take your things or have guests in the room way too late. It is also important to talk about these things before they become a habit. However, it is also important to let things slide, for example if your roommates have the light on late or are a little noisy.

The Walt Disney Company

8. Spend time together!

Yes, you are living together, but if you don’t even try to hang out with your roommates, you’ll never know if you could have been best friends. However, it is important to know when you’ve spent too much time together because you do not want to be the “clingy roommate!” Remember that it is okay to have friends besides your roommates! You don’t even have to be “BFFs” with your roommates!

9. Enjoy yourselves!

Go to events together, early breakfast, or midnight runs for ice cream! Enjoy having a roommate: someone there for you 24/7! Have fun and enjoy your college experience!

Dreamworks Pictures

Lead Image Credit: Dreamworks Pictures

Sunny Davis - University of Rhode Island

Sunny is a sophomore at URI where she is majoring in Film/Media and Writing & Rhetoric and minoring in anthropology and photography. She dreams of being a movie director and her life goal is to travel the world. Sunny is a Fresh U alum and was also Fresh U's Tumblr Social Media Editor, Social Curator, and Assistant Social Media Director! In her spare time, she binges on Netflix, takes photos, and spends the rest of her time on social media. Follow Sunny on her life adventures! Tumblr: @itsalways-sunny and @s-u-n-n-y-blr. Instagram and Twitter: @_sunnydavis.