by Stephen-Michael Thompson, Jr.

College Football Week One Review: Underdog Takeover

By Stephen-Michael Thompson, Jr. - Sep 05 2016

Week one of the FBS college football seasons is either one or two things: hard or easy. Most teams give smaller schools a check in order to play them This usually results in teams blowing out schools until the 3rd strings are tired of playing. Then you have the hard games. A team starts the season with a difficult opponent for a real test. In both situations, there are always underdogs. In week one, the underdogs came to play. Here are the 10 games from this weekend that showed the power of the underdog.

Upsets

Army vs Temple (28-13)

Last season, Temple was a force in the AAC. They even pushed Notre Dame to the brink. A ten win team looking for more this season. Well, it did not start so well for the Owls. Army was about a 15 point underdog. They won the game by 15 points. Good start for the Black Knights. No one expected this result.

South Alabama vs Miss State (21-20)

America was thinking, how would MSST start after the departure of Dak Prescott? Yeah, they lost. Not to a power-five team. They lost to a team from the Sun Belt. And honestly, South Alabama could've made the margin even worse. Their time of possession was almost 37 minutes. Mississippi State was a 28 point favorite. Four whole touchdowns. Sadly, MOST couldn't even score 4 touchdowns as they fell on their own field. South Alabama played to the last second. A missed field goal sealed the win!

Richmond vs Virginia (37-20)

Richmond was an automatic underdog. It’s a lot of good teams in Virginia. Although they are an FCS team, they are not even the best FCS team in their own state. Walking in Charlottesville and winning by 17 points is amazing. Honestly, UVA might take weeks to recover from this loss. Richmond was paid to come to play the Cavaliers. A nice $350,000 paycheck and a win is a boost for Richmond. No excuses here, this game wasn't even close. The underdog became the top dog.

Southern Miss vs Kentucky (44-35)

34 unanswered points. A 2nd Half shutout. That’s how UK lost yesterday. Southern Miss is a great program but UK should have not even lost in the manner that they did. They were up 35-10 at halftime. Most teams wouldn't come back from that deficit. But somehow and someway, the underdog didn't care. They shout out a SEC team on their own turf and won. Do better UK.

Eastern Washington vs Wash State (45-42)

Washington State is a dark horse favorite in the Pac-12. Their offense is very vertical and points are never hard to come by. My previous comments were true in their first game. But their defense did not help them at all. Losing to an in-state FCS school was not the way WSU wanted to open their playing season. Over 600 yards of offense for Eastern Washington. They did not flinch and they let the scoreboard do the talking.

Northern Iowa vs Iowa State (25-20)

Iowa State. Explain to me why an FCS team beat you again. Please explain. UNI might be the better team honestly. Good luck in the Big 12 this year.

Close Calls

Cal Poly vs Nevada (27-30 OT)

Cal Poly had more offensive yardage than an FBS team. Almost 450 yards of offense. Honestly, I don't know why Nevada fans were excited about the win. An FCS team almost beat you in your season opener. Maybe some fan bases are more complacent.

Maine vs Connecticut (21-24)

UConn is not a football school. But having Maine pushed you to a 3 point win is embarrassing. UConn has a very long season ahead of them.

App State vs Tennessee (13-20 OT)

My reaction to this game is here

Louisiana Tech vs Arkansas (20-21)

Arkansas plays in the SEC west. Aka the hardest division in College Football. Any win before conference games are crucial. Honestly, they almost dropped this game. They were a 21 point favorite over Tech. I wonder how the Razorbacks will recover.

There you have it. The underdogs came to play this week! We will see how they fare next week.

Lead Photo Credit: Josh May

Stephen-Michael Thompson, Jr. - Morgan State University

Hello, Fam! My name is Stephen Thompson Jr and I am a Sophomore at Morgan State University. I'm currently a UNCF and TMCF scholar majoring in Computer Science. In my off time, I like to debate about the latest Sports or Politics news. I am a member of the Morgan State SGA, TLT Blog Show, and Fox Sports Radio Follow me on Twitter (@_StephenSZN). Instagram (Stephen.SZN) as well on SnapChat (itsstevetho). I hope you enjoy my articles!