Display 29484339890 731083c3ab k
by Stephen-Michael Thompson, Jr.

5 Takeways from the College Football Season So Far

By Stephen-Michael Thompson, Jr. - Sep 23 2016

We are about 25 percent through the college football season. It’s been a very interesting ride for many teams. We have seen upsets, losses, records broken and coaches put on hotter seats. Teams have impressed while others are not living up to the hype. Here are my main takeaways from the season so far.

1. University of Southern California’s long road ahead.

The Southern California Trojans has the hardest schedule in the nation this year. Their first game against Alabama showed their true talent. Well, until the Trojans were blown out. After their easy win over Utah State, Stanford ran all over USC. Christian Mccaffrey had over 200 all-purpose yards. Stanford’s offensive line was the most dominant aspect of the game. Their counterparties did not do so well. USC still has Utah, Oregon, Washington and Notre Dame to play. Good luck Trojans.

2. Clemson will fight for the ACC.

Florida State and Clemson were the top picks to win the ACC this year. Yeah, that’s really different right now. Louisville gave Florida State their worst loss in their existence. Georgia Tech is undefeated. And Miami is looking dangerous. Clemson has to really put up points and dominate to come out the ACC. Louisville will be waiting for them.

3. The Big 12 is Texas Christian University’s to lose.

Texas Christian is the favorite to win the Big 12 right now. Oklahoma is out of the college football playoff race. Oklahoma State lost to a team from the Mid-American Conference (#MACtion). Baylor is good but the NCAA sanctions are coming. And Texas is rebuilding. TCU might now be the best team in Texas, but they are the best Power 5 team in Texas. Go get 'em Horned Frogs!

4. Rise of Washington.

If your program was coached by a person who went 92-12 and their previous school, how would you feel? Washington is feeling great right now. Chris Petersen won over 80 games during his eight seasons at Boise State. His program had better records than most Power 5 teams, also beating some of them on the field in the process. After two winning seasons, Washington is primed to make an impact in the Pac 12. Their schedule is very interesting to look at. But the Huskies defense are one of the best in the Pacific Northwest. The Huskies will be successful this year. Don’t be surprised.

5. Stephen’s 4 Heisman favorites.

Lamar Jackson (QB- Louisville): 913 passing yards and 8 passing touchdowns. 464 rushing yards and 10 rushing touchdowns.

Donnel Pumphrey (RB- San Diego St): 599 rushing yards and 7 touchdowns.

Christian McCaffrey (RB-Stanford): 298 rushing yards and 3 touchdowns. 106 yards and 1 touchdown.

J.T Barrett (QB-Ohio State): 650 Yards and 10 touchdowns. 159 yards and 3 touchdowns.

The first three weeks of the season has been very action-packed. It's been very interesting to watch everything unfold. Luckily for the fans, we haven't even got started with full conference play yet. Many favorites will be tripped up during this time. The ACC and Pac 12 are not complete finished. Alabama is soaring to another SEC Championship unless they lose. Ohio State and Michigan State will be fighting for the Big Ten. And in the Big 12, the landscape is changing. The AP Polls Top-Ten will be very different in three weeks. Football is unpredictable, expect it. 

Lead Photo Credit: David Moore via Flickr Creative Commons

Stephen-Michael Thompson, Jr. - Morgan State University

Hello, Fam! My name is Stephen Thompson Jr and I am a Sophomore at Morgan State University. I'm currently a UNCF and TMCF scholar majoring in Computer Science. In my off time, I like to debate about the latest Sports or Politics news. I am a member of the Morgan State SGA, TLT Blog Show, and Fox Sports Radio Follow me on Twitter (@_StephenSZN). Instagram (Stephen.SZN) as well on SnapChat (itsstevetho). I hope you enjoy my articles!