Display irlz7o8p2h
by Stephen-Michael Thompson, Jr.

15 Uniforms to be Looking Out for in College Football This Year

By Stephen-Michael Thompson, Jr. - Sep 01 2016
A uniform is simple but so complex. It differentiates between two sides. When football really started to gain ground around 100 years ago, uniforms were an afterthought. Now, a uniform can gain national attention or national laughter. It’s weird to think about it. If you watch old college football videos, uniforms were loose and often terrible when it comes to style. Today’s practice uniforms are more advanced than the game uniforms from twenty years ago. It’s all about representation. How do you want to represent your school on the field and in the media. Do you want to look terrible or fresh? Thus comes the power of a uniform.

College Football season starts this week, so here are the best uniform updates, tweaks, overrides or throwbacks to look out for this year.

1. Michigan Wolverines

Michigan has signed a contract with Jordan to outfit their College Football team, thus making UM the only D1 program to wear the Jumpman logo. Will Michigan be more successful than their previous Adidas era? We will find out. 

2. Nebraska Cornhuskers

Adidas is very interesting when it comes to alternate uniforms. They have had many failures and few true successes when it comes down to it. But, this new uniform is excellent. Chrome never fails!

3. Ohio State Buckeyes

In the last few years, many teams are modernizing older uniforms of the past. This is a part of the trend. Ohio State has done this a few times. This edition is clean and excellent. Great thing to see. 

4. Virginia Tech Hokies

I used to hate VT's old uniforms. I loved the colors and helmet but the uniforms needed more flare. VT has had many powerful teams in the past decade. The new upgrades are small but effective.  

5. Pittsburgh Panthers

Pitt Script is back! The classic Pitt logo is back to stay. It's good to see an old school classic brought back to life.

6. Panthers Part Two (the better one)

I'm in love with this uniform. I honestly want these colors to become the primary colors, but this can do for now. 

7. Oklahoma State Cowboys

Oklahoma State has been solid in the uniform department in the last few years. This upgrade takes it to the next level. 

8. Old Dominion Monarchs

Old Dominion moved up to the FBS in 2014. This is an FBS Level uniform addition right here. The Helmet pops and the all back bring the intimidating factor. 

9. Western Kentucky Hilltoppers

Western Kentucky is one of the few teams that wears Russell Athletic uniforms. WKU will be looking sharp on game days, no matter the result.

10. Air Force Falcons

Anytime a service academy creates a uniform based off a military tradition, it never fails. This helmet is similar to the shark patterns on many fighter jets. Great use of history.

11. UCLA Bruins

UCLA has turned back the clock. Their uniforms have been too flashy as of late. The minor changes are really effective.

12. USC Trojans

USC has the hardest schedule in the nation this year. Fighting that battle in some updated threads can ease the pain. 

13. Kentucky Wildcats

Kentucky has a new logo. Although it was released earlier this year, many people have not noticed the changes. 

14. Appalachian State Mountaineers

App State has the solid uniform set for this year - they never disappoint. 

15. Toledo Rockets

Toledo has had some good uniforms. The Helmet makes it even better.

The next time you watch a game, just look at the uniform. Hours were spent trying to perfect the game day look for the players. Think about the power that it possesses - the style, look and even the pride that comes with it.

Lead Image Credit: Marta Serrano via

Stephen-Michael Thompson, Jr. - Morgan State University

Hello, Fam! My name is Stephen Thompson Jr and I am a Sophomore at Morgan State University. I'm currently a UNCF and TMCF scholar majoring in Computer Science. In my off time, I like to debate about the latest Sports or Politics news. I am a member of the Morgan State SGA, TLT Blog Show, and Fox Sports Radio Follow me on Twitter (@_StephenSZN). Instagram (Stephen.SZN) as well on SnapChat (itsstevetho). I hope you enjoy my articles!