by Stephanie Treanor

7 Things to Remember Going Into Midterms

By Stephanie Treanor - Oct 19 2016

Going into mid-terms is likely one of the most stressful times during the semester for students. This one test or project can change your grade completely for better or for worse. As you begin to study and take your midterms, remember these seven things. 

1. Get Enough Sleep 

On the day of your midterm, you wake up after cramming all night and only sleep for three to five hours. You are now exhausted without enough rest to retain the information you just studied, and you are more likely to be in a bad mood and think negatively. When going into midterms, make sure you study, but also get enough sleep so you can function and focus the next day. 

2. Eat and Stay Hydrated

If you are too busy studying to take a 20 minute break and get yourself some food, you're studying too much and probably will not retain your material. Make sure that going into your tests, you are not missing meals, and you are also drinking enough water. Most students will likely be drinking more energy drinks than water, so balance it out and stay hydrated. If you are hungry, you are less likely to focus, so put down the books and go grab a quick bite to eat. 

3. Don't Cram 

Every professor will tell you if you don't study you will fail; however, if you cram all of your studying into one seven hour session in the library the night before, your chances to pass are not much higher. Unless you have a photographic memory, it's a good idea to take small amounts of time to study your material starting about a week or two before the exam. This will help you to understand and focus on smaller parts at a time, and also it will help the retention of the material. 

4. Go On an Adventure

You're stressed, sleep deprived, amped up on energy drinks and coffee and probably hungry. You have been in the library for five hours and it's time for a break. Grab a friend or a few, get in the car or on the bus and go somewhere. Anywhere. Get off campus, even if it's just for ten minutes. Grab some food that they don't serve everyday on campus or go to a park and just take a moment to relax, or if you really need a break, drive to the beach and just be with your friends. This will help you relax and have a break from all your hard work. 

5. Think Positively 

When you're walking into that dreaded lecture hall with your pencil and eraser ready, don't think about the small things you may not know or the things you do not understand. Think positively. Think about everything you studied and know like the back of your hand. Think about your strengths, not your weaknesses. Thinking positively will help you focus and keep you from doubting yourself. 

6. Power Pose

Before you leave for class, you're nervous and worried and probably thinking you should take out your notebook and do one more sweep through of everything. Don't pick up your notebook, don't think about the test and stop stressing. Stand in front of a mirror, put your hands on your hips and say, "I've got this," confidently. You have got this and power posing will help you remember how amazing you are. 

7. Reward Yourself 

After the week of evil is over, go get some ice cream or eat a cookie. Reward yourself. You made it through the week, you tried your best and you kept yourself healthy in doing so. Now it's time to get back in your pajamas, eat whatever your heart desires and take a very long nap. 

If you can do these things and make it through the week, you have succeeded in getting through half the semester, and that is a big accomplishment!

Lead Image Credit: Aaron Burden via Unsplash

Stephanie Treanor - University of Portland

Im Stephanie Treanor! Im going to be a freshman at the University of Portland double majoring in Political Science and Sociology with a Criminology track! Go Pilots!