by Stacy Andryshak

The Summer-Before-College Instagram Bucket List

By Stacy Andryshak - Jun 21 2016

There are just some summer aesthetic pictures you need on your Instagram feed, and what better time to perfect your profile than right before college? Not only will you impress your current friends with the adventures you've gone on this summer, but you'll also look super cool to the new college friends you'll be giving your username out to. 

Here are 15 classic Instagram photos that scream summertime:

1. The bonfire photo. 

This one is self-explanatory. Bonfires are a summer staple for family or friends to gather around on dark summer nights. I may or may not also condone using them to burn high school papers you want to forget ever existed. 

2. The candid art museum/hipster shot.

We all need one. Pick a colorful piece and get a friend to take a creative "candid."

3. The wall "photoshoot" picture.

You know exactly what I'm talking about. You see an artsy wall, and you make anyone in your immediate surroundings take a picture of you in front of it. One of the easiest ways to make yourself seem super cool is by standing in front of something super cool. Go do it. 

4. The underwater selfie.

In general, investing in a GoPro or a waterproof phone case is a great idea to capture summer adventures. One of these adventures could even be in your own backyard. Whether you have a local pool or lake nearby, underwater selfies are a really easy way to get a cool picture for your feed. 

5. The summer job shot.

This one might be a little weird if you work at a store like Walmart. But hey, a lot of incoming college freshman are slaving away at a job all summer to save up money. So get a cute picture with your coworkers after your shifts end or take some photos of the nice river next to the camp you're a counselor for. Just don't get fired. 

6. The summer sunset panorama.

Not just any sunset picture is acceptable in the summer. Shake up your Instagram feed with a colorful panorama.

7. The ice cream shot.

Another iconic summer picture. You could be capturing a picture of a crazy multicolored cone from the local fair, or just taking an aesthetically pleasing shot of a simple dish (like the great one shown below from the FreshUOnline Instagram- go follow it). Either way, these cute and easy pictures show that you have good taste. 

8. The beach day collage.

Don't just have one nice picture from the beach? That's OK- post six! A collage is a simple way to put all the day's pictures in one post, and good beach days usually warrant a lot of pictures. 

9. Nature macro-photography.

Summer weather doesn't necessarily mean it's time to jump right into the water. Sometimes, things on land are just as nice. Close-up pictures of some flowers or plants make a classy addition to an Instagram feed and are an easy way to showcase colorful finds from some summer exploration.

10. The kayak POV.

Probably the most recognizable summer shot there is. Who knew that showing people the world through a kayaker's point-of-view was so aesthetically pleasing?

11. Concert pictures.

Whether you're taking pictures of musicians at the front of the pit or posing with your friends on the lawn, concert pictures are a must-have for a summer Instagram feed. 

12. A rollercoaster photo.

Want to show your friends that you live life on the edge without the horror of that surprise picture that's taken of you while you're plummeting through the air? Get someone to take your picture on a rollercoaster before it starts.

13. A local fair picture.

County fairs are instantly recognizable, and the bright colors associated with them scream summer. 

14. The picture of a Polaroid.

No matter where you are or what you're doing, taking a Polaroid picture makes it seem 100x more interesting. So snap a few with your friends this summer and upload a nice picture of one to Instagram – it'll really add some variation to your summer theme. 

15. The college orientation shot.

Last but not least, the most exciting part of your summer should obviously be put on display for all of your high school friends to see. Show off how cool your college orientation was and let everyone know how much you're anticipating the journey ahead of you. 

Lead Image Credit: Chris Goldberg via Flickr Creative Commons

Stacy Andryshak - Northeastern University

Stacy is a freshman pursuing a combined major in Communication Studies and Media & Screen Studies at Northeastern University. In high school, she spent most of her free time acting in dramas and musicals. She enjoys obscure vegan restaurants, British soap operas, and her pet rabbit. Find her on: Instagram @stacy.a / Twitter @standryn