by Stacy Andryshak

6 Things To Consider Before Declaring Your Major

By Stacy Andryshak - May 16 2017

One of the best things about receiving a college education is the ability to customize your learning experience to your specific interests. As opposed to high school, where students are most likely subjected to an array of state-mandated sciences and maths, college classes allow a more flexible curriculum. However, with many new course opportunities (that you may have never had any previous experience with) it can be difficult to decide if a certain major will best prepare you for your dream career. Most colleges make you declare and stick to a major by spring or the end of your sophomore year, so consider the points below to make sure you're on the right path.

1. Don't be afraid to change majors if need be.

"About 80 percent of students in the United States end up changing their major at least once, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. On average, college students change their major at least three times over the course of their college career," says Yuritzy Ramos for Borderzine. These statistics seem extreme, but ask around — there are very few people with a strong understanding of their educational direction going into college. Some schools even prefer when students apply undecided and write their admissions essays about a variety of personal interests, according to US NewsNancy Meislahn, dean of admissions and financial aid at Wesleyan University suggests

"Ask the adults you respect what they studied in college, and you'll find there are many pathways and routes to law school, teaching, business, etc. Choice is the hallmark of U.S. higher education; don't limit your horizons!"

2. Are you planning on continuing your education?