Display alarm clock 1869771 1920
by Stacy Andryshak

5 Alarm Apps You Need If You Have Trouble Getting Up

By Stacy Andryshak - Dec 25 2016

Whether you had nine hours or 90 minutes of sleep the night before, waking up to go to class is never very easy. However, getting yourself up and to class is usually necessary for a good participation grade. Or you might just want to go anyway considering how expensive all of your classes actually are. Either way, it's essential to have a good, reliable alarm to get you out of bed. Luckily, there are a bunch of apps for this purpose — and if you're like the person in the tweet below, there are quite a few innovative apps that will make sure you get out of bed the first time.

Twitter

Read on for five alarm apps that will change the way you get up for classes for good. 

1. Uhp

WDnetStudio via Pixabay

If your fear of public humiliation surpasses your dread of waking up in the morning, then this is the app for you. Uhp will post on your Twitter and Facebook if you don't get out of bed on time. With self-proclaimed "path tracking" and "social media" features, Uhp will initially ask you to walk from your bed to somewhere you go every morning (the bathroom, your coffee maker, your desk, etc.) and to connect your Facebook and Twitter accounts. When an alarm you set goes off, you have to walk wherever you previously made your path (with your phone, obviously) to disarm it, or else there will be a message posted to your linked accounts telling all of your friends and followers that you didn't get up. If that isn't motivation to get yourself out of bed, I'm not sure what is. There are also unique snooze options available that allow you to set the amount of snoozes you are allowed, and for how long. This app is $1.99 on the App Store, but is well worth it if your tendency to sleep in has become a chronic issue. 

2. Sleep Cycle Alarm Clock

Unsplash via Pexels

Much more understated than the aforementioned app, Sleep Cycle states in their App Store Editor's notes that if in the morning "your first reaction is to throw [your alarm clock] at the wall, the problem isn't with you — it's with your alarm clock." That's debatable, considering how many of us get far less sleep per night than we should, but the science behind the app holds true. Rather than waking you up at an exact minute (like 7 a.m. on the dot), Sleep Cycle determines the moment that you are sleeping the lightest within a half hour window of when you set it to wake you up. Then the app will gently rouse you from your sleep. The most interesting part of all is that it uses your phone's microphone to track your individual sleeping patterns on the principle that we each move certain ways at certain points in our sleep cycle. So the microphone and accelerometer in your phone will be able to take in your sounds or vibrations when you move during the night in order to give you detailed sleep statistics. All you need to do is place your phone near your bed, like on a nightstand or the floor. If it sounds too good to be true, just know that there are over a thousand reviews for Sleep Cycle in the App Store, and it still has five stars. Try it out — it's free!

3. Barcode Alarm

Radek Szuban via Flickr Creative Commons

Barcode Alarm Clock is another app that forces you out of bed. This alarm won't shut off until you get up and scan the barcode of a predetermined item — like your toothpaste or a textbook you need to pack for that day. You can even set a series of alarms with different objects to scan to make sure you are getting everything you need done throughout the day. For example, if you know there's something you need to pack in your bag or if there is a book you really need to start reading, set an alarm for when you should do these things that will only go off if you're physically near the item. This should keep you on track when it comes to remembering to take objects places with you, or if you have an optimal time you need to start a chapter of a certain textbook. Barcode Alarm is free in the App Store. 

4. SpinMe

Melissa O'Donohue via Flickr Creative Commons

SpinMe Alarm Clock is another active alarm. This one won't stop blaring until you literally stand up and spin around in circles. The alarm — that starts off quietly and progressively gets louder — has no snooze option or any other way to shut it off. Think you can just lay in bed and spin your phone in circles? Think again! The app's description even mentions that trying to find a way around getting up is useless. However, this method of spinning around in the morning might be onto something. Many reviewers say that the alarm plus the spinning do wonders to make you feel more awake when you first get up. You definitely can't drift back to sleep after that! SpinMe is available for $1.99 in the App Store. 

5. Mathe

Pixabay via Pexels

Either your wildest dream or your worst nightmare, Mathe Alarm Clock makes you solve math problems to turn off the alarm. The questions are simple, but you can set the number of problems you need to answer before the sound turns off in order to get yourself optimally awake. This will help you wake up with a more active mind and is one of the few alarms on this list that doesn't require you to literally get up out of bed to turn it off. You don't need to get out of bed for this app to do its job! Have fun trying to get back to sleep after having to solve math problems with an alarm blaring in your ear. The best part of all is that it's free from the App Store.

If you have a tendency to turn off your alarm or hit snooze multiple times in your sleep, these apps should change your morning routine drastically. A good alarm means that you'll get out of bed on schedule and have time to pull yourself together enough to not look like a mess for classes — even if you got a less-than-ideal amount of sleep the night before. Try out the aforementioned alarm apps and let us know how they work for you on Twitter and Facebook!

Lead Image Credit: Pexels via Pixabay

Stacy Andryshak - Northeastern University

Stacy is a freshman pursuing a combined major in Communication Studies and Media & Screen Studies at Northeastern University. In high school, she spent most of her free time acting in dramas and musicals. She enjoys obscure vegan restaurants, British soap operas, and her pet rabbit. Find her on: Instagram @stacy.a / Twitter @standryn