Display crop
by Sophie Bodo

Why You Should Promise Not to Drink on Prom Night

By Sophie Bodo - Apr 09 2016

Prom season is approaching, which means a time of tough choices like what color dress to wear and what flowers to buy. To us, prom is meant to be a magical night of memories, especially if it’s our senior prom. To parents, however, the image of their child’s prom might be similar to that of their child drinking and partying with their friends. So while we’re working hard to have our magical night last forever, we have to ask ourselves: what if these memories ended in disaster?

Teenagers tend to see rules merely as restrictions, which is probably why many of us believe that promising to abstain from drinking on prom night constricts us and make us feel trapped. The truth, though, is that when we’re warned against drinking and driving, it’s not only for our own protection. Here are some of the ways drinking on prom night could ruin the experience not only for you but those around you:

1. You ruin the experience for your date.

Everybody wants to have a memorable night, but not because their date was wasted on the dance floor. By drinking on prom night, you’re essentially telling your date that being buzzed is potentially more interesting than them. Harsh.

2. You worry those who care about you.

Do you really want Grammie to be up all night wondering if her little baby is going to be in a car wreck? Of course not! Save your family and friends the fear by just enjoying the night as is.

3. Prom is fun in and of itself - enjoy it!

You shouldn’t need “a little extra” to have a great night. You want to remember it, don’t you? Prom is meant to be memorable, so remember it! Dance with your friends like a goof, nobody is going to care! Your prom night is what you make it.

According to Edgar Snyder & Associates, a whopping 54% of students have more than four drinks on prom night. However, the percentage of teens who have at least one drink is more than likely much higher. The worst part about all this information, as AAA has discovered, is not just that so many teens are drinking, but that most of them (87%) would rather drive drunk than call a parent and get a ride. Not only that, but 31% of teens believe that their friends and peers will use alcohol or drugs at some point during prom season.

Promising not to drink on prom night is not meant to be constricting; it's meant to be reassuring. This prom season, don't just promise not to drink for your own sake, promise for those you love and those you don't want to lose. They don't want to lose you either. Besides, don’t you think you’d enjoy the wonderful memories of prom more if you could remember them without any details being clouded by the effects of alcohol?

If these reasons aren’t enough to discourage you from drinking on prom night/driving while under the influence, please watch “Consequences” by Devon Gulati and Connor Leech:

Youtube

Keeping these things in mind, please have a great prom night and enjoy the fun times with your friends. These memories are super important, and make sure to take photos for your future dorm rooms!

Lead Image Source: sosobdodo

Sophie Bodo - Bowling Green State University

Sophie hails from a small Ohio town 40 minutes west of Pittsburgh where she can typically be seen driving her minivan wherever her photography leads.