Editor's Note: Fresh U acknowledges that many large-scale protests have not been met with mainstream media support, and recent protests like the Women's March and March for Our Lives may be the first protests for many people. We hope involvement in large, heavily publicized protests will encourage young people to become involved in activism at all levels. 

So, you're planning on attending a political protest. You got your bus ticket, stuffed your bag full of snacks/water bottles, made your sign and are ready to go fight for your cause. Attending a large-scale political demonstration can be exciting and intimidating all at once, especially when you don't know what to expect. Here are some thoughts that may cross your mind...

First is when you find out about a political event happening near you about a topic you REALLY care about and you actually have the time/ability/transportation/resources to attend it...

via Giphy

You tell others about your awesome plan, but then some Negative Nancy tries to deter you by something along the lines of, "Why bother going? We can't change things..."

via tgpgifs.tumblr.com

You don't care though. You're determined to make a difference! 

via Giphy

You try to come up with an amazing, original sign, but can't think of anything clever to say...

via alloy.com

But then you think of one, and every detail of your day falls perfectly into place...

via Giphy

When you first arrive on the big day and it's SO magical but SO overwhelming...

via theodesseyonline.com

And you start to get a little lost in everything happening around you...

via theodesseyonline.com

But then you decide to just go with it – it's OK to feel a little uncomfortable as you take everything in.

via tgpgifs.tumblr.com

You hear some really inspiring speeches...

via tgpgifs.tumblr.com 

And you probably get a little emotional...

via Giphy

Then your idol comes out on the main stage and performs a KILLER song that blows everyone away...

via Giphy

You may run into some counter protesters, and you try your best to resist the urge to get up in their faces...

via Giphy

But then you remember that they have the right to their opinion too, even if you completely disagree...

via thegameofnerds.wordpress.com

Even though all you really want is to prove them wrong with your awesome (or maybe not so awesome) arguing skills, you somehow manage to keep your cool...

via Giphy

At the end of the day, you're absolutely exhausted and all you want to do is stuff your face...

via Giphy

And you may wake up the next morning feeling a little like this...

via Giphy

But in the end, you're incredibly proud of yourself for fighting for what you believe in. 

via Giphy

Until next time!

**

To become involved in more social justice protests – big and small – check out the following resources and organizations:

Black Lives Matter

350.org

activism.meetup.com

social-justice.meetup.com

Resistance Near Me

Leading Image Credit: NBC/Netflix