Display lead image backpack article
by Skylar Kaplan

5 Backpacks to Consider Using for College

By Skylar Kaplan - Jun 21 2017

As an upcoming freshman, it can be difficult to decide which backpack is right for this new adventure, so after reading this article, I am hoping that your decision will be a little bit easier. This list is comprised of backpacks that are perfect for every purpose in college. There is a range of backpacks on this list from adventurous to fashionable and everywhere in between. Hopefully one of these is right for you!

1. The North Face Jester Backpack

North Face

This backpack is perfect for someone who is looking for a backpack with uses that are universal. The North Face brand is both fashionable and adventurous, so it can work for a trip to class or a hike up a mountain. This particular model is a 26-liter backpack with a 15” laptop sleeve compartment along with a front elastic bungee for external storage. There are compression-molded shoulder pads to accommodate for the weight along with a sternum strap for the biggest adventures. At a low cost of $65.00, this is a durable backpack that is the perfect investment.

2. Fjallraven Kanken Laptop Backpack

Fjallraven Kanken

This backpack is both fashionable and efficient. The bag is made of a moisture-repelling material to be able to endure those unexpected storms. The backpack fits all tablets and laptops up to slim 15” models. With two-side zipper pockets and a front zipper pocket, it is easy to store and access smaller items. Also, this design comes in multiple colors to match anyone’s preferences.

3. The North Face Surge Transit Backpack

North Face

Another North Face backpack model, this one follows the most of the same advantages of the brand as mentioned before, but this model offers different features. Just as in the other model, this model offers compression-molded shoulder straps and sternum straps. The front compartment features a padded tablet sleeve and additional secure, organizational pockets. The back compartment is designed to hold a 15” laptop in a lie-flat, fleece-lined design. With a capacity of 38 liters, this backpack is perfect for anyone looking to maximize his or her storage.

4. Columbia Manifest Backpack

The Columbia brand is often known for its jackets and athletic clothing. However, it does make great backpacks as well. The backpack above was designed in a material that works in all environments along with a padded back panel and compression straps. There is a padded 15” laptop compartment to protect against even the toughest of drops. This model has a security zipper pocket in the main compartment along with dual stretchable side water bottle pockets. Also, this model features a front pocket to hold anything that needs to be easily accessed.

5. Vera Bradley Campus Backpack

Vera Bradley

This backpack is very fashionable and is perfect for work or school. Along with the laptop compartments, there are two front-zip pockets and two side pockets along with slip pockets in the smaller compartments to keep things organized. Although the material isn’t weather proof, the backpack can be washed if it gets dirty. With so many styles and patterns, the backpack is perfect for any outing.

Hopefully one of these backpacks is right for you. Picking the right backpack for college is really important in order to be successful throughout your four years.

Skylar Kaplan - Ohio State University

Skylar Kaplan is a freshman at The Ohio State University majoring in Fine Arts with a focus in Art and Technology. At her High School she was in Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) and was Editor-in-Chief of the yearbook.