Display mugs article lead image
by Skylar Kaplan

15 Mug Recipes Every College Student Should Know

By Skylar Kaplan - Jul 26 2017

When you go to college, your multiple kitchen appliances at home transform into just a single microwave. While dining hall meals may be easy and plentiful, sometimes you just want a nice home cooked meal. Microwavable mug recipes are the perfect solution because they meet your restrictions of time and appliances. There are recipes for any time of day and desire. From breakfast to dinner, from snack to dessert, there is a recipe for you to try.

1. Egg Scrambler

This is the perfect breakfast dish, which is both healthy and delicious. This recipe can even be taken on the go if you are rushing out the door on a busy morning. The recipe only requires cheese and eggs. However, you can add whatever mix-ins you would like.

Click here for the recipe.

2. French Toast

A delicious breakfast dish, French toast has always been viewed as a generally time consuming dish to prepare. However, when you make it in a mug, the original quality is kept but with a much more simplified process. 

Click here for the recipe.

3. Blueberry Muffin

Although commonly seen as a breakfast treat, this dish can be enjoyed at any time throughout the day. Typically this recipe requires a standard oven and makes more than what you need. This mug recipe is perfect for producing a single delicious muffin for you to enjoy with the resources you have available.

Click here for the recipe.

4. Cinnamon Roll

This delicious pull-apart delicacy is a dish that has been around for as long as I can remember. Cinnamon rolls taste the best when they are homemade and can be extremely difficult to come by on a college campus. While this mug recipe may take more effort than most, it is worth it.

Click here for the recipe.

5. Fritos Pie

Pixabay

If you have never heard of Fritos pie, you are missing out. This delicious recipe includes Fritos chips and delicious chili, otherwise referred to as Fritos pie. Included below is a recipe for chili, which can be prepared in the microwave (cut the recipe below in half to make a single serving). Once you have prepared the chili, top it off with as many Fritos as you can fit and enjoy. If you are feeling a little bit more creative, you can keep the Fritos chip bag as is and dump in your microwave chili to create a more aesthetically pleasing delicious dish.

Click here for the recipe.

6. Chicken Pot Pie

Wikimedia Commons

The perfect comfort food to enjoy on any day of the year, chicken pot pie in a mug is another dish that is more difficult to come by on a college campus. Now you can make this southern dish yourself.

Click here for the recipe.

7. Mac n' Cheese

Wikimedia Commons

You are probably wondering why this recipe is here when you could just go to the store and buy microwavable macaroni and cheese bowls. Well, those bowls raise many concerns on their use of chemicals, and making your own mac n' cheese will taste much better. Once you make this recipe, you'll never look back.

Click here for the recipe.

8. Lasagna

Wikimedia Commons

This lasagna recipe is super simple and super delicious. A fabulous option for dinner, this recipe requires only a few ingredients and can even be adjusted to include your family's signature ingredients. 

Click here for the recipe.

9. Chilaquiles

Wikimedia Commons

This traditional Mexican dish is the perfect option for breakfast, lunch or dinner. What makes this even better is that this recipe was adjusted to only need the ingredients, a mug and a microwave while still keeping that same traditional flavor.

Click here for the recipe.

10. Pizza

I know that it is always nice to see a hot pizza come to your doorstep, but then you are getting a whole box of pizza rather than just the one slice that you want to eat. This recipe allows you to have the perfect serving size of that great tasting pizza with the resources that you have available. Also, you can customize the toppings in order to make your favorite pizza. 

Click here for the recipe.

11. Chocolate Chip Cookie

The most classic dessert is a nice chocolate chip cookie. This recipe will allow you to make a single chocolate chip cookie to fulfill that sweet craving. The recipe is super easy and once you mix all the ingredients, it only takes one minute in the microwave and then you can enjoy. 

Click here for the recipe.

12. Cheesecake

I know that you were not expecting this one, but yes. This recipe is both delicious and easy. This cheesecake does not take long to prepare or cook, but it does have a chill time in your mini fridge. If you do love cheesecake, then I am sure you will be willing to wait for this delicious treat.

Click here for the recipe.

13. Apple Pie

This classic recipe tastes good at any time of day. The delicious recipe is easy to make and is everything you love about the classic apple pie. This specific recipe that I have already included uses apple pie filling to make everything easier. However, you can make the filling yourself if you want to. 

Click here for the recipe.

14. Rice Krispie Treat

Wikimedia Commons

This recipe has always been easy, but now it is even more perfect because it is a single serving made in your microwave. The Rice Krispies can be interchangeable with your favorite cereal.

Click here for the recipe.

15. Brownie

Brownies are a delicious chocolatey treat and they are easy to make. This recipe does not require eggs, so it is not as much a concern as to whether or not the brownie is fully cooked. Have a brownie ready to eat in just three minutes.

Click here for the recipe.

These single serving recipes are perfect for those days when you are looking for a delicious homemade dish. All of these recipes are customizable and could maybe even inspire your own creation.  

Skylar Kaplan - Ohio State University

Skylar Kaplan is a freshman at The Ohio State University majoring in Fine Arts with a focus in Art and Technology. At her High School she was in Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) and was Editor-in-Chief of the yearbook.