Display tim mossholder 149380
by Shelby Lenhart

The Best DIY Group Halloween Costumes

By Shelby Lenhart - Oct 25 2017

Getting the group together for Halloween can be stressful enough, but working out costumes and prices can add an entirely new level of stress. Grab your fabric markers and glue guns because this list includes some of the best DIY group costumes that you and your friends can make with little stress and effort! 

1. Milkshakes 

This costume is incredibly simple to pull off and can be done with as many people as you want. Simply by getting pieces of clothing in the color of your milkshake, you can create your "ice cream" base. Think beyond vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry for something even more original, or stick to the classic trio for your group of three. 

To make the whipped cream and cherry combo, the easiest route is to cut out white felt and glue it to a headband with a red felt circle and stem on top, but other websites like Studio DIY recommend making it this way instead . 

2. Powerpuff Girls (or Rowdyruff Boys)

Name a more iconic trio than Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup. Our childhoods were filled with the crime-fighting team. We came to love the soft demeanor of Bubbles, the firm leadership of Blossom and the anti-patriarchal power of Buttercup, and had the same sort of love for their male counterparts, the Rowdyruff Boys. Regardless of gender, these costumes are not only unique, but super easy as well.

Blue, pink and green t-shirts with either black pants or corresponding skirts make up the bulk of the outfit, divided in the middle by a black belt. For characters like Blossom or Brick, either a pink bow or red baseball cap can be used in its place. 

For larger groups, characters like Bunny or Princess can be added in respective purple and yellow. 

Total Sorority Move

3. Alvin and the Chipmunks (or the Chipettes)

The singers of our favorite Christmas song are now the quickest way to create a group Halloween costume. Much like the other suggestions on this list, this group requires a bit of color coding and creativity. To create the looks of Simon, Theodore and Alvin, as well as Brittany, Jeanette and Eleanor (or maybe all six!), you need green, red and blue hoodies, dresses, shirts or your preferred article of clothing. Paired with that, following tutorials to make your chipmunk ears, the only thing left is either felt, markers or fabric to create the initial on the front of the clothing. 

Missing your friend in red? Try calling "Alvin!" to find them. 

4. Fruit Salad

Looking fresh this Halloween is easier than you think with this simple DIY Halloween costume. Just like in all the other tutorials, this one relies on color coding. Luckily, fruits are heavily associated with specific colors. 

Strawberries can be done with a red outfit and yellow, white or black fabric paint to create seeds. Kiwis can be made with a green outfit, light green and black fabric paint to make the core and the seeds. Pineapple requires a yellow outfit with green or gold fabric paint. Get as many friends together as you'd like to create this simple DIY group outfit. 

The best part? Since you're dressed like fruit, you don't have to worry about eating healthy on Halloween! 

5. Friends from the Hundred Acre Wood

What could be easier and more lovable than Winnie the Pooh and friends? Making a Halloween costume of Winnie the Pooh, Piglet, Tigger, Eeyore and whoever else comes to your mind is incredibly simple, and all it takes is a few headbands, fabric paint, felt, t-shirts and some scissors. To make characters like Pooh, all you need is a red shirt, yellow pants and fabric paint to write "Pooh" on the front. For an extra level of detail, you can make yellow ears, which are incredibly simple. Following a tutorial like this one can be really helpful! 

For other characters like Piglet, ears can be made the same way, but as triangles with felt instead of fur! You can follow this tutorial for ideas! A pink shirt can be drawn on using a Sharpie marker for Piglet's body. A little pink lipstick on your nose and a curled felt tail pinned to the back can really complete the look. 

Characters like Eeyore can be made in similar ways, with a felt tail being pinned to the back with a pink bow. 

This idea allows for larger groups as well as smaller groups or even pairs, and can be as detailed as you would like it to be! 

Ally Berger

6. Disney's "Fab Five" (Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy and Donald)

One of the most common costumes for couples is the iconic Minnie and Mickey duo, but what if I told you that this idea can be expanded to include more friends?

Stemming from the simple idea of red pants with a black top or a polka-dot dress and using the trend of DisneyBounding (dressing in color schemes and clothing fits similar to specific Disney characters), you can easily create a group ready to take on Disney World. 

Wearing white pants with a navy blue top is the easiest way to channel your inner Donald Duck, and an all mustard-yellow outfit with a green scarf is a simple way to become Pluto, paired with the best and easiest dog-ear headband. 

Take the stress out of your group Halloween plans by using this list of the best DIY costumes. Head to your local craft store with some friends and get ready to get spooky!

Shelby Lenhart - Marymount Manhattan College

Shelby is a freshman at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. She is getting her BA in Theatre Arts with a concentration in Playwriting. She also works with fellow writer Flynn Osman for the blog Barefaced (