Display annie spratt 466761
by Shelby Lenhart

10 Cruelty-Free Makeup Brands that are Actually Shade Inclusive

By Shelby Lenhart - Jan 29 2018

After the disastrous launch of a well known high-end makeup brand that was less than shade inclusive, many people are looking to take their business elsewhere. Recently, shade-inclusive launches have become incredibly popular. With such variety from other brands, many people were rightfully surprised and angry that such a popular brand would only include three shades for darker skin tones with only one undertone. If you're looking to support a shade inclusive brand, why not also support a brand that doesn't test on animals? Below are ten brands to choose from that are both shade-inclusive and cruelty free!

1. Beauty Bakerie

BeautyBakerie.com

Beauty Bakerie is an up-and-coming, black-owned makeup brand that is incredibly popular in the makeup community. Originally started by Cashmere Nicole, a breast cancer survivor, the brand has gained a lot of traction from the recent production of gorgeous eyeshadow palettes, contouring kits and cult-favorites like Lip Whips (liquid lipstick) and Flour Powder (setting powder). Nicole is very open with the fact that their brand is cruelty free and a firm supporter of empowering men and women alike through makeup. 

There has been immense hype around the release of their Cake Face concealers, available in eight shades. While some people were initially upset at the few shades while some brands like Fenty released 40, their concerns were quickly put to rest as they saw the impressive shade range that spans from a yellow-based light to a cool-toned deep shade. The concealers are priced at $24.00 and are online only, but are currently on sale for $20. 

To shop Beauty Bakerie, visit their website here

2. Hourglass Cosmetics

HourglassCosmetics.com

Hourglass is another brand that is very popular within the makeup community. While the brand is certainly a high-end brand of high quality, it is also priced as a high-end brand. Their Vanish Seamless Finish Foundation costs $46, but it is available in 32 shades. Hourglass can be found in Sephora and Nordstrom, and also offers a wide array of brushes, highlighters and lipsticks as well as other products.  

This foundation stick boasts complete, full coverage and a long-wearing formula. It is a favorite amongst influencers and online beauty gurus because the claims of full coverage are completely backed up, as the product is more of a total pigment rather than a regular foundation. It is also a favorite because, as well as being a verified cruelty-free brand, it is also vegan, which has become a popular trend among makeup companies. 

To explore Hourglass and their other products, visit their website here

3. Anastasia Beverly Hills

AnastasiaBeverlyHills.com

Anyone who has walked into an Ulta or Sephora has, without a doubt, seen the Anastasia Beverly Hills display. The brand launched headfirst into popularity for their brow products, which is undoubtedly their signature item. Their Dipbrow, Brow Definer and Brow Wiz are available in a variety of shades for virtually any natural hair color. They also became well known for their liquid lipsticks, their Glow Kits, their contouring kits available in both powder and liquid and their widely renowned eyeshadow palettes. 

The company was started in 1998 by Romanian immigrant Anastasia Soare as a way to prove that eyebrows are incredibly important to the look of the face. When the brand was picked up by the Kardashians, it seemed to step into the spotlight overnight.

The crowning jewel of the brand is their line of foundation, contour and concealer sticks. The products retail for $25.00 and are available at Ulta, Sephora and on their website. The brand boasts 30 different shades and has a complementing potted concealer available for $20 in 15 different shades. Anastasia Beverly Hills (ABH) has been verified by PETA as a cruelty-free cosmetic brand. 

To purchase ABH products, visit their website here

4. BECCA Cosmetics

BECCACosmetics.com

BECCA Cosmetics is arguably most known for their beautiful highlighters. It is a brand that is fairly popular, but also fairly quiet. Their launches are often successful but do not have as much fanfare as brands like TooFaced or Urban Decay. 

BECCA is also well known for their Ultimate Coverage foundation, available in 19 shades that range from Porcelain to Cacao. The product, on top of being a flawless full coverage, offers 1.01 fluid ounces of water-resistant wear. Similar to the Hourglass foundation, it is a pigment foundation, which means you need less product to get the same full-coverage effect. 

The BECCA foundation retails for $44.00, and is available at Ulta, Sephora, QVC and the BECCA Cosmetics website, found here.

5. BH Cosmetics

BHCosmetics.com

BH Cosmetics is a small-scale cosmetic brand found both online and at Ulta. Their prices are similar to an average drugstore brand. The brand is known for their unique eyeshadow palettes like the colorful Take Me to Brazil and Galaxy Chic. Their launch into the public eye was supported by their partnership with beauty guru Carli Bybel in the Carli Bybel Deluxe Palette. 

On top of their popular eyeshadows, BH has a line of foundations that offer an impressive shade range. The foundations are offered in 18 buildable coverage, hydrating shades and cost $8.99, but are currently on sale on their website for $6.29. Like BECCA, the products are also vegan as well as cruelty-free. 

To find your shade and shop more BH Cosmetics products, visit their website here.

6. NYX Cosmetics

NyxCosmetics.com

NYX has established themselves as a high-end product at drugstore prices, and is available at Wal-Mart, Target, Ulta and other drugstores. Their products range from primers to glitters to lipsticks to brushes, but they are also well known for their foundation lines. 

NYX offers a variety of different foundations, including mineral foundation sticks, full coverage foundations and tinted moisturizers. The Stay Matte But Not Flat foundation has 30 different shades, and their HD Studio Foundation comes in 20. There are also powder variations of the Stay Matte But Not Flat foundation as well that comes in the same 30 shades. 

Despite being bought by parent company L'Oréal, who tests on animals only when the country they are selling to requires it, NYX remains a cruelty-free brand, as verified by PETA. 

To see their full foundation lines and much more, visit their website here

7. Makeup Revolution

RevolutionBeautyUSA.com

While the brand came under heavy criticism from makeup mogul Kat Von D for copying a palette of hers, Makeup Revolution has made quite a name for themselves in the makeup industry. Their specialties include making dupes or similar palettes to the high-end versions, but this is not all they are known for. 

Makeup Revolution's Conceal and Define concealer was cited by beauty blogger and influencer Alissa Ashley as a replacement for Shape Tape concealer after the launch debacle that recently took place. The concealer is available in an astounding 18 shades that range from very pale to very deep. Makeup Revolution also has contouring kits that range from light to deep, as well as bronzers and highlighters for all skin tones. They currently do not offer foundations, but their concealer shades are plenty inclusive. 

The concealers retail for $7.00 on the Makeup Revolution website, as well as in stores at Ulta. While none of their products are vegan, all of their products are cruelty-free, and they do not sell to countries that require animal testing. 

Shop concealers, blushes and more at the Makeup Revolution USA website here

8. Fenty Beauty

FentyBeauty.com

It was only a matter of time before this brand was listed here. This brand, a product of Robin Fenty, better known as Rihanna, launched back in 2017 with a staggering number of shades. The brand is not only cruelty-free, but is a black and female-owned brand – something that is unfortunately not incredibly common in the makeup community. 

Rihanna launched 40 shades of her Pro Flit'r Foundation, which costs $34.00, as well as releasing her wildly popular Killa-Watt highlighters, the Pro Filt'r Primer and the Foundation Stix during her initial release. The brand recently launched the Mattemoiselle Lipsticks, which were met with positive reception. 

The brand is found exclusively at Sephora and on the Fenty website, found here.

9. Jordana Cosmetics

JordanaCosmetics.com

Jordana Cosmetics has become well known for their high-quality products and affordable prices. Jordana is a drugstore brand, meaning it can be found in stores like Wal-Mart and Walgreens, and will likely not be found at high-end retailers like Nordstrom. 

Jordana foundation, specifically the 2-in-1 Foundation and Concealer comes in 12 shades, and while that does not sound like a lot, there is a shade for practically everyone, although the undertones may not entirely be correct. Their foundation is priced at a mere $3.99, and can be found on their website. 

The company has openly spoken out against animal testing, although their products are not vegan. To shop Jordana, visit their website here

10. Bobbi Brown Cosmetics

via BobbiBrownCosmetics.com

One of the biggest names in makeup is arguably Bobbi Brown. Bobbi, now 60, is a makeup artist who has created a cosmetic empire. Her high-end products include foundations, lipsticks, blushes and more. Her brand is also woman-owned as well as being cruelty-free, another important aspect in the competitive industry. 

There are a multitude of foundation products from the brand, with the most popular being the Long-Wear Even Finish Liquid Foundation, which retails for $50.00, but is currently on sale for $35.00. As well as that, her other popular foundations include the 30-shade Skin Long-Wear Weightless Foundation, priced at $46.00, received very positive reception for its flawless finish and wide shade range. The Skin Foundation Stick comes in 31 shades and costs $46.00 for 9 grams of product.

The website provides suggestions for certain undertones, skin concerns or preferred formula, making it not only inclusive of shade, but inclusive of skin type (i.e. oily, dry, acne prone, et cetera). To visit the website and find the best foundation for you, click here

In light of the recent events involving brand inclusivity, there is a lesson to be learned. Simply because a brand has your shade does not mean you should support them and what they stand for, and simply because a brand doesn't have your shade doesn't mean you cannot find a brand that stands for something even better. There are many makeup brands that support empowering people regardless of their skin tone, and also support the end of animal testing – a win-win for everyone. Give your money to the brands that stand up for what's right, and maybe not the ones who find it easy to ignore a large portion of people. 

Lead Image via Annie Spratt on Unsplash

Shelby Lenhart - Marymount Manhattan College

Shelby is a freshman at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. She is getting her BA in Theatre Arts with a concentration in Playwriting. She also works with fellow writer Flynn Osman for the blog Barefaced (https://barefacesite.wordpress.com).