by Sasha Vassilyeva

A Letter to My Little Sister About Growing Up

By Sasha Vassilyeva - Jul 18 2017

Dear little sister,

In a month and a half, I’ll have to leave you. For the first time you’ll get to see what it’s like to have your own room and I’ll see what it’s like to not have someone to tease day in and day out. You still have a long way to go, but I have been through it all and here are some things I want you to know as you continue to grow.

School is going to get hard. If you think you’re doing a lot of work now, you have no idea how much more you’ll have to do as you get older. You’ll think it’s too much and you’ll think that if you skip a few homework assignments or study a little less for your sixth grade tests, it will never affect you. But I’m telling you now that it will. No, colleges won’t see your grades from anything before high school, but if you don’t teach yourself to work hard at everything from the beginning, you never will. I slacked off in middle school and when freshman year came around, I was very surprised to find that I was getting more than one and a half hours of homework every night. Start working now, study hard and learn to manage your time. My advice to you may sound cliché now but if you choose to take it, it will help you in the long run.

Friends will come and go. You may have a group of friends that you’re close with now, but know they will not always stick around. By the time you get to high school, you will go through many friend groups, and that’s OK. Don’t be upset if you and your friends drift apart; this will always happen and is unfortunately inevitable. But the few that are always around no matter how often you see each other or what you have going on in your lives are the ones that are worth keeping.

You don’t need a relationship to make you happy, so don’t go rushing to get one. Eventually, the right person will come around and when you find them, you’ll be happier than ever. That could happen sooner than you think or it can happen many years later, but either way, until then, try not to worry about getting into a relationship. You may see the people around you dating, but that doesn’t mean you have to, too. Wait, grow up, become smart and mature. Enjoy your time with your friends and your family. A relationship is not what you need to have a happy life. And for my sake (and our parents’), please don’t date anyone before you get to high school, because more often than not, nothing good will come out of a middle school “relationship." But when you do start dating, I better be the first to meet your little friend because that relationship is not going anywhere without my approval!

You may not want to listen to me. You may think that everything I’m saying is cliché and that you’ve heard it all before so it doesn’t matter. But I have gone through it all and can tell you that even if it does sound silly now, it will all apply to you eventually. I hope you take my advice now and that you continue taking it as the years go by. And remember, I’m always just a phone call away. 

Love,

Your older sister

Lead Image Credit: Sasha Vassilyeva

Sasha Vassilyeva - Loyola University Chicago