Display 9511213674 9ff4119fc9 k
by Sarah Franzetti

10 Songs that Sum Up Freshman Year

By Sarah Franzetti - Apr 22 2016

1. Home, Phillip Phillips

“Hold on to me as we go, as we roll down this unfamiliar road.
Settle down, it'll all be clear, don't pay no mind to the demons they fill you with fear,
The trouble—it might drag you down
If you get lost, you can always be found.”

When we first stepped foot onto our campuses, they felt strange and unfamiliar. We got lost finding our classes and had no idea what new adventures laid ahead of us. But as this year comes to a close, we couldn’t picture ourselves anywhere else, and “going home” means going back to our dorms.

2. Hold My Hand, Jess Glyne

“In my mind, I'm running round a cold and empty space
Just put your arms around me, tell me everything's OK…”
“I'm ready for this, so darling, hold my hand.”

Remember saying goodbye to your parents on the very first day and not knowing how you were going to find friends and do your own laundry and make your own schedule and just function on your own? Well, everything worked out because even though we may not have realized it at the time, we were ready for this adventure— and we found people to hold our hands through it all.

3. Let it Go, James Bay

“I used to recognize myself, it's funny how reflections change
When we're becoming something else, I think it's time to walk away
So come on let it go, just let it be
Why don't you be you
And I'll be me”

Even though its been only one year since high school, we are not the same people we were then. We have grown, learned, and become stronger. We haven’t changed, we have just become better versions of ourselves, and we realized that some people and things are better left in high school, where they cannot hinder us from being the truest and best versions of ourselves.

4. One Call Away, Charlie Puth

“No matter where you go
You know you're not alone”

Whether you are 100 miles or 1000 miles away from home, this year has taught us how important it is to have those people who you can count on no matter what. It was not always to easy to stay connected with a busy college schedule, but picking up the phone and making the effort proved to be well worth it.

5. Stressed Out, Twenty One Pilots

“We used to play pretend, give each other different names,
We would build a rocket ship and then we’d fly it far away,
Used to dream of outer space but now they’re laughing at our face,
Saying, “wake up, you need to make money."”

As great as our first year in college has been, it proved to be a huge reality check. No longer can we get away with breezing through classes, having minimal responsibilities, and living in the comfort zones in which we grew up. College is scary. This first year brought huge amounts of independence which was great at sometimes, but other times, we just wanted to go back to kindergarten.

6. On Top of The World, Imagine Dragons

“I could’ve gave up then but then again I couldn’t have ’cause
I’ve traveled all this way for something
I take it in but don’t look down
‘Cause I’m on top of the world”

Here’s to surviving the all nighters, our first finals at college, the countless essays, presentations, group projects, and every bump along the way. Somehow, with a little faith and a help from our friends, we got through it all.

7. The Riddle, Five for Fighting

“There are secrets that we still have left to find,
There have been mysteries from the beginning of time,
There are answers we're not wise enough to see”

Am I with the right friend group? Should I change my major? What classes should I take? What am I doing with my life??? These are just some of the questions we may have found ourselves asking in panic as we struggled to get our lives together. Of course, no one really has it all together, some are just better at pretending than others. And that is okay, because if this year has taught us anything it is to relax, take a deep breath, and have faith in the journey, wherever it takes us.

8. Young Forever, Jay-Z

“Fear not when, fear not why,
Fear not much while were alive,
Life is for living not living up tight,
See ya somewhere up in the sky”

Even back in 2009, Jay-Z had the right idea that life is for living and not for fear. Freshman year is the best time to simply enjoy being young and feeling invincible. Never again will we have another year like this in our life, so we do our best to live in each and every moment, especially as our first year at college comes to an end all too soon.

9. I Lived, One Republic

“I owned every second that this world could give,
I saw so many places, the things that I did
And with every broken bone…I swear I lived.”

The best part of being a freshman is the endless amount of opportunity that surrounds us. New clubs, activities, classes, friends— we tried them all, and we learned from them all. As this year comes to a close, we can truly say we seized the days.

10. Homegrown, Zac Brown Band

“Sip whiskey out the bottle
Livin' like we’ll never die
Come on and stay a while if you don’t believe me
Why would I ever leave?”

Do we really have to go home for the summer? After all the ups and downs, its safe to say there was a lot more smiles than tears this year and we wouldn’t trade this amazing life experience for anything. At the end of the day, we can’t complain. There’s nothing like having “everything you need and nothing that you don’t” to make you never want to leave freshman year behind. 

Lead Image Credit: Flickr, Sascha Kohlmann

Sarah Franzetti - Marist College

Sarah Franzetti is a freshman at Marist College majoring in communications with a concentration in journalism. In high school, she was the News Editor of her school paper. She enjoys binge-watching "The Office," going to the beach, playing tennis and dreaming of a world where people know the difference between they're, there and their. Follow her on Twitter @S_Franzetti!