Display books
by Sarah Diggins

8 Books For College Students Who Hate Reading

By Sarah Diggins - Aug 24 2017

Between required reading for classes and navigating textbooks, reading isn’t everyone’s idea of “fun." However, there are some great young adult contemporary books that are super easy to get into and that anyone will have trouble putting down! Here are some recommendations.

1. "Three Day Summer" by Sarvenaz Tash

Amazon 

For all you music lovers out there, this unique YA historical fiction book tells the story of two teens whose lives intertwine at the Woodstock musical festival that took place during the summer of 1969. Despite it taking place nearly 50 years ago, the teenage characters are still very relatable and easy to connect with. Not to mention, of course there are plenty of musical references and even some musician cameos throughout the story.

Get it here for $13.10.

2. "Eleanor & Park" by Rainbow Rowell

RainbowRowell.com

This modern young adult classic tells the story of the unlikely bond between two misfits who meet on the school bus in 1986. It is the best kind of book – the kind that has the potential to make you laugh, make you cry and of course, give you all the feels.

Get it here for $12.92.

3. "Anna and The French Kiss" by Stephanie Perkins 

Amazon 

This story tells the tale of Anna and her adventures after she is sent to a boarding school in Paris. This book is absolutely perfect for someone who loves to travel and loves a good fluffy romance every now and then. “Anna and The French Kiss” is actually the first in a trilogy, each with an iconic city as the backdrop and complete with character cameos from other characters in the series.

Get it here for $7.68.

4. "Wonder" by R.J. Palacio

Amazon 

“Wonder” is technically classified as a children’s chapter book, but regardless, it's still a must-read for people of all ages. Although the book was published in 2012, the movie is coming out later this year, so there is no better time than now to give it a try. This heartwarming story stars Auggie, a fifth grader with facial birth defects, as he begins his experience of attending school in a traditional setting after being home-schooled his whole life. This story emphasizes the importance of acceptance, kindness and friendship and can teach lessons to readers of all ages.

Get it here for $10.65.

5. "Since You’ve Been Gone" by Morgan Matson

Goodreads

Morgan Matson’s books are the definition of fun summer reads, but this one happens to be my personal favorite. It follows Emily after her much more outgoing best friend Sloane goes missing at the beginning of the summer, leaving only a To Do list for Emily to complete while she's gone. Emily reluctantly makes her way through the list with the help of some new friends in the hope that it will bring Sloane back, but it ends up turning her summer into a bigger adventure than she bargained for.

Get it here for $8.39.

6. "Me and Earl and The Dying Girl" by Jesse Andrews

Goodreads 

Don't be completely discouraged by the title: this book is absolutely hilarious. It follows the odd friendship between terrible filmmakers Greg and Earl as well as Rachel, their classmate who was just diagnosed with leukemia. Of course, there are somber parts, but overall, this book is the perfect balance of being side-splittingly funny and heartbreakingly sad.

Get it here for $6.22.

7. "Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares" by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn

Amazon 

Perhaps summer isn’t your thing. I get it. If this is the case, try “Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares,” which takes place in chilly New York City during the Christmas season. This adorable adventure follows the story of a girl who left a notebook full of dares in a bookstore and what happens to the boy who finds it.

Get it for $8.49.

8. The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling

Amazon 

I know, I know. This series is definitely not brand new, and at seven books, it is quite the commitment. However, I do think it is a commitment that everyone should make at least once in their lives. As a fantasy series, it does have its lion's share of spells, villains, magical creatures and duels. But because the story follows Harry from age eleven to seventeen, there are also strong themes of friendship, growing up, school, family and even romance that everyone can relate to.

Get the entire series for $52.16.

As you can see, there’s a book for everyone out there! Happy reading! 

Sarah Diggins - Ithaca College

18, NJ native, freshman at Ithaca College. Ravenclaw with Gryffindor tendencies (so basically she's Luna Lovegood). Avid Family Feud watcher. Catch her on instagram and twitter @thebookofsarah.