by Sarah Diggins

4 Unique Study Abroad Opportunities To Check Out

By Sarah Diggins - Nov 19 2017

So many students dream of spending a semester abroad during their time in college, and with good reason, too! By doing so, you'll gain valuable life experiences, a great addition to your resume, influences from different cultures and lifelong friends. But what if the study abroad program associated with your school in London or Australia doesn't interest you? Check out these four programs that certainly are not your professor's study abroad programs.

1. Semester at Sea

Remember when Zack and Cody went to school on a boat in The Suite Life on Deck? Semester at Sea is basically the real life, college-aged version of Seven Seas High! Semester at Sea is a semester-long study abroad program that runs slightly varying cruises for the fall and spring semesters with travels encompassing up to 11 different countries such as Spain, Japan, China, Ghana and South Africa. 

Admissions: In order to be accepted into the program, you must currently be a full-time student at an accredited university for at least a full semester at the post-secondary level. As for academics, you must have a GPA of at least 2.75, as well as provide a disciplinary clearance form from your school's judicial affairs office. In addition, you must also submit a 300-500 word essay. 

Tuition: Tuition varies from $25,074-$31,074 based on the amount of roommates and view you choose to have. Tuition includes up to 15 credits from Colorado State University that are easily transferable to your institution, all meals, housing and amenities, the travel experience, premium health insurance, academic field class, support team and academic advising. Additional expenses include airfare, visas, immunizations, textbooks and laundry. Information about the generous scholarships and financial aid that Semester at Sea offers can be found here

Education: All students are required to take a field class that offers them opportunities to apply what they've learned in the classroom out in the world in a country of the professor's choosing, and global studies, a class that informs and excites students about each and every country they are about to visit. In addition, students can choose from around 70 different courses to take on board, ranging in topics from psychology to creative writing. 

2. Disney College Program

Are you a Disney fanatic, or maybe just a kid-at-heart in general? Do you want to spend a semester working at the happiest place on earth? Then The Disney College Program is for you! The Disney College Program takes place at both Walt Disney World in Florida and Disneyland in California. Participants will be placed to work in either operations, entertainment, lodging, food & beverage, retail or recreation, as well as have opportunities to take classes and make connections within one of the largest companies in the world. If this paid student internship already doesn't sound convincing enough, participants receive generous discounts on food, lodging and merchandise and not to mention unlimited free entry to both Disney parks in the United States during the length of their program!

Admissions: In order to participate, you must be 18 years of age and have unrestricted work authorization in the United States. You also must have completed one semester at an accredited institution where you are currently enrolled, taking classes or have graduated from in the past six months. Each school sets their own GPA and credit hour requirements, so make sure you seek out what your school's is. In order to be accepted, you must submit an approved application, as well as eventually participate in a phone interview as the last step. 

Tuition: While there is no overall cost to participate in the Disney College Program, there is a $355 program and housing fee for the Florida program and a $902 program and housing fee as well as a security deposit for the California program. Rent is anywhere from $103-$150 a week based on location and because it is a paid internship, is automatically taken out of the weekly paycheck. Pay varies based on the assigned role. 

Education: Because this is an internship, you will likely have to take a semester off from school in order to participate in the Disney College Program. You are welcome to take online classes from your university or enroll in one of the program's many unique seminars about that range in topic from marketing to animal science, all with a little touch of Disney. It is important to remember, however, that you will be working long hours, including the possibility of working holidays, late nights and early mornings. 

3. New York Film Academy 

Lights, camera, action! Calling all film students! Through the New York Film Academy you have the option to study film and other related courses in Australia, Italy, France, China, Japan, Netherlands or Germany! Expose yourself to the film culture of a new place, meet amazing new people and also be able to find some filming locations that are a little different from back home. 

Admissions: In order to participate, you must fill out an application, as well as provide proof of identity and a high school transcript. 

Tuition: Expenses vary based on the location of your choice, information can be found here

Education: While studying abroad, you can choose to take classes through Endicott College, which can be transferred back to your institution following the end of your program. Students at all international locations can choose a focus in filmmaking or acting for film, while the Australia location also offers programs in photography, producing, screenwriting, 3D animation, visual effects and more. 

4. Alternative Breaks 

Want to fit studying abroad into your college experience but aren't sure if you want to, or have time to, spend an entire semester away from school? This is where Alternative Breaks comes in! Most schools have their own Alternative Break programs, so the cost, location and requirements will often vary from school to school. From volunteering in an animal shelter in Maryland to an orphanage in Romania, Alternative Breaks are a great, inexpensive way to build relationships with your peers, see a new place and of course, volunteer! Keep an eye out for Alternative Breaks at your next activities fair!

Whether you decide to go away for a whole year or just a week, or if you decide to go to Boston or Botswana, there certainly is the perfect study abroad program out there for you! 

Sarah Diggins - Ithaca College

18, NJ native, freshman at Ithaca College. Ravenclaw with Gryffindor tendencies (so basically she's Luna Lovegood). Avid Family Feud watcher. Catch her on instagram and twitter @thebookofsarah.