by Sanjana Lahiri

8 Things to do in Manhattan on a College Budget

By Sanjana Lahiri - Jan 30 2018

When people think of Manhattan, things like Times Square, Broadway and the Empire State Building come to mind. While these are all great places, they aren't necessarily budget-friendly. Here are some unexpected, fulfilling things to do while you're in the Big Applewhich won't break the bank. 

1. Play a game of nighttime pool at Public Hotel.

Public Hotel is a sleek, surreal space in downtown Manhattan, which is open to (as its name suggests) the public at all times. Walk in for a game of pool or simply to lounge around at no charge. 

2. Visit the Morgan Library

Visit this vast mansion-turned-museum for a stunning collection of art, books and manuscripts, as well as, some beautiful architecture. Entry is usually $13 for students, but free between 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. on Fridays.

3. Take a stroll down Battery Park (bonus points if you go at sunset).

Walk down Manhattan's southern-most tip for a beautiful view of the Statue of Liberty across the water, as well as an incidental tour of several historic monuments

4. Happy Hour at Dun-Well Donuts

Here's one happy hour you don't need to be over 21 for. With two-for-one all-vegan donuts from 7:30 p.m. to 10 p.m., the price is almost as good as the taste! 

5. Midnight breakfast at Veselka.

Need I say more? With everything from waffles to meat plates served around the clock, this Ukrainian restaurant is an East Village favorite. 

6. Dig in at Odd Fellows' Ice Cream Parlour

If classic vanilla isn't really your thing, try visiting Odd Fellows. Past flavors in their repertoire include extra virgin olive oil, chorizo and scallion, and they offer a new selection almost every day. 

7. Watch a performance at Washington Square Park

If you happen to be in town during the warmer months, Washington Square Park is home to an array of street performers at most times of the day. While you're at it, you can also view Ai Wei Wei's "Good Fences Make Good Neighbors" installation in the Washington Square Arch. 

8. Visit the Metropolitan Museum

This one's a Manhattan classic. Spend a few hours here and take in one of the world's most expansive art collections, which currently includes a special Michelangelo exhibit. The suggested ticket price for students is $12, but what you actually pay is up to you!

Manhattan, and New York City in general, is one of the most exciting and bustling places in the world. It's no coincidence that artists, musicians and students have constantly been drawn to it. If nothing on this list suits you, you'll be sure to find something interesting to do just around the corner!

Lead Image Credit: Frank Köhntopp via Unsplash

Sanjana Lahiri - The Cooper Union

Sanjana Lahiri is a first-year architecture student from Singapore at the Cooper Union.