Display 11221756363 9b75e64df5 k
by Sandy Gooen

8 Ways Chanukah Is Getting Me Through Finals

By Sandy Gooen - Dec 12 2015

Chanukah is here!

... and so is the last week of classes, which can only mean one thing:

FINALS.

I have several finals to get through between now and Friday the 18th. I would be totally upset right now if it weren't for the fact that I'm celebrating a holiday. 

Here are 8 reasons why:

1. Great timing this year

Chanukah ends after my last class of the semester, so I get to have holiday spirit right up until the last class. (Otherwise, I'd be pretty bummed to still be in classes at that point). 

2. Brightening up the room

The light from my tiny dorm Chanukiah (better known as a Menorah) helps brighten up my study space. The menorah is a symbol for continuing to see light through the darkest times.

3. Personal Expression

Staying connected to my faith has been a top priority at college. I can stay connected through community lightings, and teach people about why Chanukah is more than the Jewish holiday near Christmas.

4.  8 Crazy Nights

have somewhere to go after my insanely late classes. I went to the NYC LGBT Chanukah Party after a class that let out at 7:30.

5. Junk food

Everyone has their vices, and between latkes and chocolate, I've got plenty of holiday goodies to eat while I study.

6. Giving

Between gifts and charity, I get to be helpful and contribute to other people's happiness. Of course, when I get home from school, I have my gifts to look forward to as well. That's a pretty great motive to finish the semester, but —

7. Holidays mean more than that at college

The fried food and presents are nice, too, but they aren't as prominent for me now that I'm away at school.

8. The miracle of light

Finding light where there is almost none is what Chanukah is really for, and I'm grateful for that this year, because it's become harder to get things done the closer I get to finals. The lights give me a little extra help.

Good luck to everyone taking finals. And for those who celebrate it, Happy Chanukah!

Photo Credit: Businessinsider.com 

Sandy Gooen - Barnard College

Sandy Gooen is a first-year at Barnard College studying neuroscience and music. She loves rugby, writing and performing. She’s best known for spontaneous jump-splits. She once took her cello, Tawny, to banquet as her date. You can check her out on Facebook as herself or on Lulu.com as Di Gaon!