Display balance
by Sandy Gooen

The Balancing Act: 10 Tips for Scheduling

By Sandy Gooen - Jul 07 2015

1. Prioritize your days.

Keep your priorities in order. Overextending yourself is something to avoid.

2. Prepare for surprises.

Leave some time open. Life is full of unexpected things: a paper, a date, an extra rehearsal or practice.

3. Stack (or don’t, depending on your personal situation) your classes.

If you have a job or a demanding extracurricular activity, course stacking might be for you. Taking all your classes consecutively on the same few days and then leaving the rest of the week open is a common approach.

4. Eat a snack.

If you take long, consecutive courses, you need to hydrate and eat something, even if it’s just a small snack. Recharging maximizes productivity.

5. Breaks are good for you.

Taking study breaks increases productivity.

6. Take naps.

All-nighters and a consistently big workload? Sleep is vital. If you can’t do it at night, find an hour to catch up on some much needed sleep during the day.

7. Care for yourself.

Hygiene, exercise, remembering to take medications — you’d think it wouldn’t be hard to remember about all of these things, but you’re in college now. There are so many opportunities to do so many important things and even more opportunities not to do so many important things. Sticking to a regimen will keep the train of your life from derailing due to an illness or anxiety.

8. Check your major requirements.

Inspired by Lin-Manuel Miranda’s commencement address to the Wesleyan University class of 2015, check on your major and general requirements regularly. Keep them in mind when picking courses and loading up on extracurricular activities.

9. Reflect on your experiences.

If you’re having trouble, think through the problem. Then talk through it with someone you trust. Don’t make it worse by dwelling on it, but navigate from where you are.

10. Just breathe.

College is a time to find yourself. Do the best you can. Don’t rush into everything and take it one step at a time.

Lead Image Credit: Fotosearch

Sandy Gooen - Barnard College

Sandy Gooen is a first-year at Barnard College studying neuroscience and music. She loves rugby, writing and performing. She’s best known for spontaneous jump-splits. She once took her cello, Tawny, to banquet as her date. You can check her out on Facebook as herself or on as Di Gaon!