Display keep calm its only tech week
by Sandy Gooen

Surviving Tech Week

By Sandy Gooen - Nov 13 2015

We've made it this far, Theater people. We've skipped parties for rehearsals, dragged ourselves through class, and managed to survive somehow. 

There's one more hurdle to climb before the moment of truth: Tech Week.

My show, Evita, opens in eight days. A lot of stuff is about to go down in those eight days. Here are some tips for surviving tech week on top of school.

1. Comfortable clothing

Let yourself breathe during the day. If you are an actor, you are going to be running around in a costume until the small hours of morning, and if you are on the production team, don't change out of  comfortable clothing. Wear whatever keeps you from being overstressed.

2. Work and Tests

Study between classes. Do not attempt to: A) wake up early, or B) stay up late. It's not going to end well.

3. NAP

Take any chance you get.

4. Conserve your voice

Regardless of your role, onstage, offstage, wherever, you need to keep your voice intact. (I am a Vocal Director, I had to mention this one.)

5. Nutrition

Avoid having too much fatty food or caffeine, it will mess with your sleep and metabolism and you will not feel well. Sugar, though. You need sugar. Eat fruit, drink juice. Make sure to eat, and hydrate. 

6. Substances

Guys. If you are under the influence during tech week, you will not make it to show time. It's just unfair to everyone else working on the show, and to yourself.

7. Treat yourself

Do something relaxing during breaks, Listen to music, play Call of Duty on your phone, read, do yoga. During the day, make time for you.

8. Rehearsal

Before you get into the room, you should feel ready to go. Warm up a bit before you come in (or do prep, it seriously depends on your position), review your parts and your notes. There's not a minute to waste in the week leading up to the show.

9. Tech and Cleanup

Tech Week exists to fix stuff up before the performances. Don't freak out if something goes wrong because it most likely can be changed prior to the show. Use the week to see just how great the show can become.

10. Breathe 

And once the show opens... Be proud! People get to see your hard work that has taken up the brunt of your time and energy. The teamwork does pay off.

Break legs, everyone!

And, if you want to see Evita, here's the ticket link: https://web.ovationtix.com/trs/pr/952977

Featured Image Credit: maddiebrashier.wordpress.com

Sandy Gooen - Barnard College

Sandy Gooen is a first-year at Barnard College studying neuroscience and music. She loves rugby, writing and performing. She’s best known for spontaneous jump-splits. She once took her cello, Tawny, to banquet as her date. You can check her out on Facebook as herself or on Lulu.com as Di Gaon!