Display kurt and burt
by Sandy Gooen

What Your Relatives are Really Thinking When They Ask if You're Seeing Someone

By Sandy Gooen - Nov 27 2015

So, I'm out. Very out. Now that it's out of the way, I am asked the ever famous question: "Are you seeing someone?" My parents are asked by other relatives. It's a very popular question, and I get why. I'm in college now. Here's the thing. Being out means that people know something about who you are attracted to, meaning they will be curious if you've met a person, since it's something they associate with you. But here's what your relatives might really be thinking when they ask you if you're seeing someone...

Grandparent

"So, are you seeing someone?"

What they are thinking: "I hope I'm not being offensive. I just want you to know I support you, and this is the best way how."

Relative who is also queer

"So, are you seeing someone?"

What they are thinking: "If not, I hope you don't expect me to set you up with my friends."

Single Sibling

"So, are you seeing someone?"

What they are thinking: "WHY AM I THE LAST ONE TO FIND SOMEONE GAH."

Taken Sibling

"So, are you seeing someone?"

What they are thinking: "Are you going to one up me?"

All Siblings

"So, are you seeing someone?"

What they are thinking: "Are they as annoying as you?"

Parent

"So, are you seeing someone?"

What they are thinking: "Look, I just want you to be happy and I annoy your straight siblings about this too. As long as you're happy. If someone hurts you, I will crush them."

Relative

"So, are you seeing someone?"

What YOU are thinking: "Do I tell them the truth? Or change the topic?"

You

"Hey, guys! Come check out this picture of a cute animal!"

Happy Holidays!

(DISCLAIMER: I LOVE MY FAMILY AND WRITE THIS ALL IN GOOD FUN.)

Lead Image Credit: FOX

Sandy Gooen - Barnard College

Sandy Gooen is a first-year at Barnard College studying neuroscience and music. She loves rugby, writing and performing. She’s best known for spontaneous jump-splits. She once took her cello, Tawny, to banquet as her date. You can check her out on Facebook as herself or on Lulu.com as Di Gaon!