Display id 10053919
by Sandy Gooen

How to Build a College First Aid Kit

By Sandy Gooen - Aug 21 2015

Remember all that stuff your parents and school nurses did for you? It's mostly your job now.

Accidents happen, and sometimes, there's no avoiding them. However, you can prepare a set of tools to look after yourself in the event of an accident. Think of it as a superhero utility belt to fight further injury and infection... or don't, if superheroes aren't your thing. Keep a small kit in your bag and a larger set of things in the dorm for treatment of your standard ailments. If you are accident-prone or on a sports team, a first aid kit is especially important. Also, at least one friend should bring supplies to a party. All of these kits apply to minor injuries and sickness only.

The following items cannot and do not replace a licensed healthcare professional in the event of an emergency. Fever and viral and bacterial infections should be taken to health services, or if severe, like a broken bone, fever above 103 Fahrenheit or loss of consciousness, go to the hospital or call 911.

Keep PRN (as needed) medications in a safe and easy-to-reach place in your dorm, or, if directed to by a doctor, on your person at all times (like an Epi-pen or Inhaler)

A Sample List for a First-Aid Kit:

OTC pain meds: Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) and/or Acetaminophen (Tylenol).

For wounds and sprains: Roller Bandages, Band-aids, Small pair of scissors, Medical tape, Neosporin, Gauze, Thermometer, Tweezers.

A Sample List for sickness remedies in the dorm (By type of ailment):

Stomach: Pepto-Bismol and/or Antacids, Imodium, Gatorade and/or Ginger Ale, Crackers. If you are lactose intolerant, bring Lactaid. 

Allergies/Cold: OTC Cold or Allergy Medicine based on symptoms, Netipot or Nasal Spray, Salt (to make warm saltwater for gargling), Cough Drops, Eye Drops, Thermometer, Vicks Vaporub.

Know your medications and allergies, don't take anyone else's, be safe, be healthy, and have a great year at school!

*Photo from

Sandy Gooen - Barnard College

Sandy Gooen is a first-year at Barnard College studying neuroscience and music. She loves rugby, writing and performing. She’s best known for spontaneous jump-splits. She once took her cello, Tawny, to banquet as her date. You can check her out on Facebook as herself or on as Di Gaon!