Display 149h  1
by Sandy Gooen

College Audition (Reprise)

By Sandy Gooen - Sep 18 2015

So, you're a first-year in college. You sent your portfolio, your demo reel, your pre-screening materials, you went to unifieds, you went to schools from Poughkeepsie to Portland, OR and everywhere in between and you booked it... so now you get to automatically be in every show ever, right?

...

right?

Nope.

So if you're not in a conservatory, as I am not, there's department theater and student theater. And you audition for what suits you. But here's the secret: be proactive, be active, and be reactive. 

This is not an article telling you what to sing or what monologue to read (although I would advise picking something that you feel comfortable with that shows off your skill set and has something to do with the show/s for which you're auditioning, while keeping in mind that no human on earth is desperate to hear "Tomorrow" or "Corner of the Sky" at a musical theater audition.)

This is primarily an article for people in the arts, but this goes for all people and all jobs. Show a vested interest. Be professional without being tough. You can still be polite and get the job done. *pro tip: the job gets done better*. 

You can make a difference in your first-year. In my show alone (Evita), the cast is about half freshmen, and I'm the vocal director. 

Break legs, Class of 2019. And if this isn't your semester (and you're in a 4-year program), you have 7 more semesters. Learn and grow from teachers and upperclassmen, but don't be afraid to have opinions and participate. Interactions and connections are super valuable if the arts is indeed the discipline you're going for. Always be involved. Always learn. Say "yes, and." Get stuff done.

So, I will leave you with a final thought. 

When you're nervous, you gotta remember the point offered by one Gavroche:

"Little people know when little people fight; we may look easy pickings, but we've got some bite. So never kick a dog because he's just a pup, so you'd better run for cover when the pup grows up. And we'll fight like twenty armies and we won't give up."

Lead Image Credit: Gratisography

Sandy Gooen - Barnard College

Sandy Gooen is a first-year at Barnard College studying neuroscience and music. She loves rugby, writing and performing. She’s best known for spontaneous jump-splits. She once took her cello, Tawny, to banquet as her date. You can check her out on Facebook as herself or on Lulu.com as Di Gaon!