Display concert 1435286
by Sandy Gooen

Banding Together in NYC

By Sandy Gooen - Sep 04 2015

Gone are the days of Colony, and much of Music Row has moved or closed, but don't worry. NYC still has plenty to offer if you're studying music, theater, film, and/or dance.

1. NY Public Library for the Performing Arts

Site: nypl.org/locations/lpa

In addition to the exhibits on display on the ground floor, this library has a huge database of books, scores, film archives, sound archives, and more. Plus you can make copies, and there's free wi-fi.

2. Drama Bookshop

Site: http://www.dramabookshop.com

For those who feel like purchasing books, scripts, and music, I have the perfect spot for you. There are casting notices galore, and the whole place screams artsy. 

3. Capezio Store

Site: capezio.com

Where my dancers at? Capezio is an option for dance wear and supplies nationwide. Use the store locator to find the closest one to you.

4. Grishko Flagship Store

Site: grishko.com

Tomato, tomato. Taste depends on the person. If you feel more like a Grishko person, that's cool, too. They both make dance supplies.

5. Ricky's- multiple spots

Site: rickysnyc.com

For all your makeup/costume needs. It is an artist's dream come true. Use the store locator for this one too, it's a pretty common NYC store.

6. Ripley Grier Studios 

Site: ripleygrier.com

Auditions, rehearsals, master classes. Get used to Ripley-Grier and my next spot:

7. Pearl Studios

Site: pearlstudiosnyc.com

8. Broadway Dance Center

Site: broadwaydancecenter.com

Feel like brushing up on your dance skills for a while? Take a class at Broadway Dance Center!

9. Practice Rooms

If you find one available to you, on or off campus, take advantage of the moment. They fill up fast.

10. Your Student Center/Most Box Offices

Rush tickets/Student tickets save a LOT of money if you are interested in seeing shows; take advantage of that student ID while it still works.

You made a great decision to come to New York City. Welcome.

*Photo from Freeimages.com

Sandy Gooen - Barnard College

Sandy Gooen is a first-year at Barnard College studying neuroscience and music. She loves rugby, writing and performing. She’s best known for spontaneous jump-splits. She once took her cello, Tawny, to banquet as her date. You can check her out on Facebook as herself or on Lulu.com as Di Gaon!