Display graduates 351603 1920
by Samantha Bernt

5 Things Every Graduated Senior Thinks About Before College

By Samantha Bernt - Jun 23 2017

For many students, college is about to become a new challenge after the summer break ends. These are just a few of the things newly graduated high school seniors (such as myself) seem to constantly wonder and stress about before starting college.

1. Living on your own.

Living on your own and away from your parents seems exciting to a new high school grad. Staying out as late as you want, eating whatever you want — the new independence seems exhilarating ... until you think about all of your new responsibilities. Unless you already did this before, you'll have to do your own laundry, get your own food and set your own schedule, but most of all just learn to live life as your own independent self. It can seem overwhelming at times, but just remember, there are tons of other freshmen all around your college campus facing the same thing.

2. Dorm life.

Some students are a little weary about the fact of having to live in dorms their freshman year. Some have never had to share a room with a roommate, so it can seem a little daunting at first. If you got to pick your roommate, use the time over the summer to try to get to know them before moving in in the fall. You never know, your roommate could turn out to be one of your bridesmaids or groomsmen at your future wedding.

3. Dining hall food.

The words "dining hall" doesn't exactly make anyone think of gourmet, homemade comfort food. Most will get the image of a high school lunch line, where lunch ladies dump a pile of slop on your tray. But don't let the word deceive you. Some dining halls serve pretty top notch food (some even with buffet styles). Before you know it, you'll be making second and third trips for even more delicious food (and cookies and ice cream). And when you make trips home, you will be even more grateful for mom's home-cooked meals. 

4. Gaining the freshman 15.

Along with the almost endless available trips for food in the dining hall, there are consequences (also known as the daunting "freshman 15"). There are ways to prevent gaining those extra pounds. Find a workout buddy and try to workout a couple times a week. If you're like me, you hardly workout at all, but it will be worth it in the end.

5. Making friends.

Not going to school with your friends you've grown up with can seem a little scary. You're probably excited for this new chapter in your life but are scared about starting it. The best way to start making friends is by getting to know and befriending your future roommate. By being friends with your roommate, you won't start college all alone. You'll have a buddy to start out with, who's going through all the same things as you are. You can also go about making friends by going to events hosted by your school. A lot of the student body will be attending, and it's a great way to get out and meet people. You can also get to know people by socializing with students in your classes. Start a study group and get together once a week, and before you know it, you'll be surrounded by a group of new friends.

All in all, starting college is full of uncertainties. The best way to get past them is to just take in the whole experience. You only start college once, so make the most of it and enjoy the ride. 

Samantha Bernt - University of Nebraska–Lincoln