by Sabrina Sooknanan

12 College Students Share What You Can Do if You Couldn't Attend the Women's March

By Sabrina Sooknanan - Jan 23 2017

On Saturday, January 21st, thousands of “nasty women” took to the streets of Washington, D.C. for the Women’s March. And if that wasn’t exciting enough, according to ABC News, more than 1 million people rallied at Women’s Marches in the U.S. and around the world. This is one of the most significant events that will go down in U.S. history. Although the march was an intergenerational event, it was an opportunity for many college students to get involved and stand up for important issues. Students from across the nation marched up and down the streets with colorful signs and vibrant chants.

But what about those who couldn't make it to the march? If you couldn't go it doesn't mean that you don't share the same beliefs as those who attended. There are multiple ways to stand up, raise your voice and support a cause. Here are twelve students who share what they have done and what they plan to do in light of the women's march.

1. Gia Tims — Hofstra University — Journalism Major

"Since I couldn't attend, I took initiative on social media and spread love about the march all over. I also wrote an article on the march where I interviewed feminists that were going and that was my way of paying tribute. I know a lot of people went to the sister marches around the country that happened yesterday. There were also options to donate to the march. Overall, I would say spreading the word and supporting the mission publicly, not remaining silent is the best way to be involved."

2. Jordan Mendoza — Queens College — Neuroscience Major

"Research! Look at the numbers, the people and the places, because they will come back in future political encounters and you should know who to cheer for, expect and respect."

3. Shaun Borne  Xavier University of Louisiana  Psychology Major

"Although I was not able to attend the march, I felt a sense of unity amongst all women. I am especially proud of the women that look like me because we are handed trials and tribulations we never asked for and yet we still rise to make a change in our country. The march should ignite a light in all of us to actively change the things that we see to be unfit."

4. Mia Renee — UNC Chapel Hill — Hispanic Literature and Culture Major, Minor in French

"Since I wasn't able to attend any march this weekend, I decided to participate in the Pussyhat Project. I knit two pink 'pussyhats' for marchers in DC to wear. It felt super great knowing that I was able to contribute to such an awesome cause! It made me feel especially great to see how much the campaign took off (nationwide) and see how the streets of DC were flooded pink! I even had a girl at my school who bought a hat from me for the march. It was great to see how everyone came together to make these hats from all over the world; there were more people 'present' at the march than visible because there were so many hearts and souls poured into making thousands of pussyhats for the occasion! Plus, I still have people asking for me to make them — they're being worn by everyone now!"

5. Olivia Row  Marymount Manhattan College  Musical Theatre Major

"[The marches] spark conversation. Awareness is the most important thing in this election and talking about the changes coming is so important, no matter how many people tell you it's annoying and that it doesn't matter because he's the president. We need to demand respect and stand up for women who fall inferior to important men in their lives, especially women [who are victims] of abuse. I have a lot of friends who are in unhealthy relationships because they feel like they need to be and that's the worst thing ever."

6. Emily Herzfeld — Haverford College — Prospective Political Science Major

"I wasn't able to make it to the march but I've done some things to stay involved. Some things I've done are registering people to vote, staying informed and talking to people with views different from my own. I think it's also great to call your congresspeople about issues that matter to you!"

7. Amelia Beamer — Syracuse University Graduate School — Magazine, Newspaper & Online Journalism Studies

"Although I wasn’t able to attend a Women’s March yesterday, I was still able to stand in solidarity with the amazing women (and men) who marched, thanks to social media. I reposted a photo of a young girl holding a sign that said 'Future President' with an arrow pointing down to her. The photo was taken in Charlotte, North Carolina, where I used to live. I thought it was important to show a city in the south showing such passion. I have also stood in solidarity by donating to Planned Parenthood in honor of Mike Pence and Donald Trump. Also, I am currently looking into becoming a patient escort at Planned Parenthood. One is located a few blocks from where I live and is a center that still performs abortions, attracting protestors. I would greet patients at their cars, block them from the protestors, talk to them, calm them and once inside, sit with them if needed. There are so many ways to show support — whether you wish to share on social media, donate money or time or simply be outspoken in your everyday life about what you believe."

Image Credit: @tvsbeckyb via Instagram

8. Amanda Morrison — Temple University — Global Studies and Strategic Communication Major, Spanish Minor

"Even though I couldn't attend the women's march, I still felt extremely connected to those in support of the women's cause. However, I wanted to get involved in women's activism this semester because of the power of community I've seen displayed this week. So I decided to change my class schedule at college to include a course about autobiographies of women in radical social movements. There is no better time to study women's history —  after all, history is her story too, and I'm excited to see how much more inspired I'll become from studying amazing, strong and powerful women this semester."

9. Samantha Losurdo — Marymount Manhattan College — Digital Journalism Major

"Compliment other women around you! We live in such a hard world and we should say something we like about another person even if we may think it's stupid. A small compliment to a woman on their hair or something they're wearing or anything can definitely make someone's day! Compliment a fellow woman on the way that they handled themselves in a situation. We have to lift each other up in hard times."

10. Jordan Deloch  Xavier University of Louisiana  Political Science Major

"In the ongoing push towards equality throughout this country, it is most important that we regard each disparity with the same amount of respect and concern. Although one's issue might be more relevant to them, let's not belittle the wants and efforts of others trying to make their voices heard. Equality is equal in ALL aspects, so treat them that way."

11. Re'Nyqua Farrington — Nova Southeastern University — English Education Major

"The Women's March is so much larger than 01/21. Sure it'll go down in history as one of the largest protests but the movement continues. I definitely plan on staying involved with my local and state politics and speaking out against social injustices. I think other students can stay involved by being aware of the issues that exist and writing or protesting to their local officials until something changes."

12. Nick Bradshaw  Marymount Manhattan College  Double Major in Film and Theatre

"I've always been a feminist, always will be. And I hate Trump, with a passion. But, now that he's in office, we need to support him in his endeavors that aren't radical and damaging. We need to unite as a people. And we definitely need to stop debating the "correct" or "proper" way to stand up and speak out about anyone's rights. There is no one way to protect liberty, and all make an impact. What's the point in bickering over the details when we're all fighting for the same thing?"

If you are still unsure about what to do or looking for more ways to get involved, check out this amazing Twitter thread:

Remember, every time a woman steps out into society is a march. We march on a daily basis wherever we go. No act is too small or too big, so take a stand, use your voice and support what you believe.

Lead Image Credit: Maya Ungar

Sabrina Sooknanan - Marymount Manhattan College

Sabrina Sooknanan (she/her/hers) is a student at Marymount Manhattan College. She is pursuing a double major in Philosophy & Religious Studies and Business and a minor in Journalism. Sabrina is a born and bred New Yorker with a zest for adventure and style. Back in high school, she was an Executive Editor of the school's newspaper. Sabrina is also the Chapter Editorial Director of Fresh U. Aside from writing and editing, Sabrina spends her time mentoring young women as well as taking part in a variety of leadership programs. Her interests consist of traveling, understanding different perspectives, and giving back to her community.