by Rudo Ellen Kazembe

7 Things Political Science Majors Are Tired of Hearing

By Rudo Ellen Kazembe - Jun 08 2017

Although political science majors have varied interests, they are often bombarded with statements or questions alluding to topics about government, identity politics, global environmental issues, religious revivalism and nationalism. As a political science student, these are some of the statements I encountered during my freshman year.

1. You should probably major in something more useful like biology or chemistry.

As a political science major, you acquire essential skills that enable you to understand and analyze a variety of complex issues in an effective manner from a political standpoint. These issues may encompass the politics of black hair, the significance of regionalism or the war in Syria.

2. What can you even do with a political science degree?

Having a political science degree does not mean that one will be stuck in a dead end job in the future. There are numerous career opportunities that are open for political science graduates, such as becoming a diplomat, journalist, CIA agent, political campaign manager, state legislator or even a conflict mediator.

3. Why are you not in the student government if you are a political science major?

Political science students don’t necessarily have to get involved in student politics. Students majoring in political science come from diverse backgrounds and like any other group of students in college, they have varied interests which stimulate them intellectually.

4. You must watch the news all the time.

Not really. Just because we are studying political science, that doesn’t mean that we are glued to CNN, MSNBC, Fox News or ABC News 24/7.

5. So are you going to work on a campaign this summer?

Even though quite a number of political science students work on political campaigns in their local area, some of us do internships in other career fields such as communications or business.

6. What are your thoughts about the current political climate?

We don’t have an opinion about every single view that various members of the population hold about political events that are happening at a local, national or global level.

7. Don’t you get tired of learning about different political parties?

As a political science undergraduate, you don’t just focus on political parties. Depending on the subfield (American politics, global politics, political theory) which one concentrates on, one can also learn about political theories at an in-depth level with respect to issues such as justice, liberty or even global issues such as international terrorism.

The political decisions that are made by leaders at a national or global level can have an impact on our day-to-day lives, hence the importance of studying the role that politics plays.

Rudo Ellen Kazembe - Lake Forest College

Rudo Ellen Kazembe is a staff Politics Writer. She is currently a junior studying Politics and Economics at Lake Forest College. She wrote for the national newspaper in Zimbabwe when she was in high school. She has had some of her work republished in Teen Vogue. She is an Editor and staff writer for her College newspaper. You can follow her on Instagram (@ellen_oxox).