Display danielle cerullo 642332 unsplash
by Rachel Ornstein

3 Reasons Why Zumba Should Be A Part of Your Workout Routine

By Rachel Ornstein - Jul 27 2018

We all know that in order to live a healthy lifestyle, a regular exercise routine is necessary. But sticking with the same workout for a long time can get real old, real quick. So, to combat this, it's important to change up your workouts every now and then so that you don't quit exercising simply out of boredom. One great workout that I recommend incorporating in your own workout routine is Zumba.

1. You don't need to know how to dance to Zumba. 

Known as a "fitness party" type of workout, Zumba is a calorie-burning dance program that is pure fun. People think that you have to know how to dance to do Zumba, but that is simply inaccurate. Here's the truth: whether you are a beginner or a world-class dancer, no one is really looking at you during a Zumba class. Being a mediocre dancer myself, I know that I am having just as much fun and getting just as great a workout as the better dancers in the class simply by moving my body. So, I hope to put that worry to rest. 

2. Doing Zumba will help you meet new people. 

Many colleges offer Zumba classes in the fitness center which is a great way to meet people at the start of the fall semester. After the first few classes, if you see the same familiar faces, introduce yourself! We are all eager to meet new people, so why not get to know someone you already have something in common with? Here's another thought: as the semester progresses and you become friends with more people, suggest that they take the class with you! I've gotten my friends to take Zumba with me and it is so much fun - especially the laughter that inevitably comes when we have no idea what we are doing. That part is the best. 

3. Zumba clears the mind and supports a positive attitude. 

Zumba is also a really great workout to help distract you from things that are going on in your life that you want a break from. For me, I always feel that I come into class having many things on my mind and come out of it having nothing specific bothering me. I think with the positive energy that surrounds a Zumba class, you just seem to forget about everything for the time being. That really shows the impact that Zumba can have on someone.

It's always necessary to change up your workout routine, so why not change it up by taking a dance class that requires no experience and is just pure fun? Zumba is a great choice to burn a lot of calories, poke fun at your lack of dance skills and meet new people, too.

Rachel Ornstein - University of Delaware