Display study pen school notebook 80378
by Rachel Loia

Why You're Smart Enough for the Major You Love

By Rachel Loia - Feb 02 2017

There are so many people who are not afraid to tell you that you are not smart enough for a certain subject. They make a judgement and decide your fate before you've even shown them what you're made of. And while your entire family could still support you fully, that one person who doubts you could shatter your confidence in your own capabilities. If you have the opposite problem and only one person supports you, then it still isn't the greatest feeling in the world. It makes you reconsider all of your choices. 

But you can't give up. 

Intelligence should not be the justification for your decisions. Your passion for your decisions is what counts. 

Let me break it down for you with a scenario. 

Imagine you are getting a degree in physics. It's a hard subject no matter what your IQ is. As you struggle to do a complex problem, your friend tells you that you should look into other majors in case you "can't understand the problems." If you love physics, this one comment could be crushing. Even though your friend probably was only looking out for your well-being, they put a sense of doubt in you. That doubt can affect your outlook on every little thing you do. 

The problem with their approach is that they're denying all of the potential you do have. Actually, let me bring up physics again just for a second. You have potential energy. Maybe not in the physic(al) sense, but in a human sense. This is a metaphor, so bear with me. Basically, you can do anything you want with YOUR potential energy, but if you don't do anything then that is all it will ever be: potential. If you actually work, you can make that energy kinetic. 

For those of you who are not a fan of my physics references, I'll put it this way: you have to put in effort for things. And maybe you're not the best at computer science or calculus, but that shouldn't stop you from pursuing it. You have the opportunity as an person in college, to expand your horizons and challenge yourself. This is something that people all over the world don't have the chance to do. Make the best of it and understand this: nothing as grand as complex thinking was ever just handed to someone. It is something you earn as you grow, and the best way to grow is to learn. 

So please don't give up. You are smart enough for your passions, especially if they're passions. 

Rachel Loia - Ramapo College

Rachel is a freshman studying biology at Ramapo College of New Jersey. She also loves writing and uses it as an excuse to not do schoolwork. Instagram: @rachloia