Display photo 1473188951313 a1909741328e
by Rachel Loia

The 10 Best Songs to Listen to for When You're Losing It

By Rachel Loia - Sep 20 2016

So you are probably aware that exhaustion and stress are a huge part of a student's every day life. Between classes, cleaning and trying to at least be a little social, it can all drain you. It happens to the best of us. For example, last week I was so overwhelmed that I ended up wearing the same pair of leggings several days in a row (seriously it was bad). It's not just me, though. Often times I hear disgruntled sounds coming from every corner I turn, kids walking around looking like the worst of the walking dead.

The unfortunate part about all of this is that no matter what students are dealing with, there is still work to be done.

The best coping mechanism is something that has the ability unite us all: music. So, to help you all out, I decided to compile a list of songs that help lull me to the point of a calm, ambitious sensation that keeps me chill enough to spit out three papers in one night or to simply relax. There’s a more of a cathartic vibe than a sad one to this playlist.

1. Work Song by Hozier 

Work Song is about the resilience in a romantic relationship, which may sound odd for a song that is supposed to help you relax. While the lyrics are thought-provoking, the nice melancholic tone brings a sense of comfort while doing work. 

2. Codex by Radiohead 

Codex strikes me as a sort of an adult lullaby. This one isn't necessarily for working, but more for grounding oneself. I often will fall asleep to it just because of the simple lyrics and soft notes.

3. River Women by Puzzle Muteson 

River Women has a calm sound that can easily fade into the background while you're cramming for an essay. It's honestly my go-to when I need to get a good amount of work done by the next day. 

4. Conrad by Ben Howard 

Conrad is one of my favorite songs. Its lyrics about nature really brings me to the root of things (pun intended) and allows me to keep a steady work flow. 

5. Breezeblocks by alt-J 

Breezeblocks is a fun song that I am easily productive to. It makes me happy, but calm enough that I'm able to get a bunch of homework done in a short amount of time.

6. The Love Club by Lorde 

The Love Club is just one of those songs that fits nicely into the background of any situation. Sometimes I just play it while I clean to keep me interested, but not distracted.

7. It's You by Zayn 

It's You is another great song because Zayn's voice honestly is a gift. It also is great to hear while writing. 

8. Coat of Armour by George Ezra 

Coat of Armour is a really nice song with lyrics that convey safety. Being in a safe, comfortable place is the best thing for me in terms of relaxing and keeping up with my responsibilities, so this song comes in handy. 

9. Speak by Ben Abraham 

Speak is just beautiful. Abraham's voice could put anyone into a meditative state without even trying. 

10. Heart is a Drum by Beck 

Heart is a Drum has a really fun beat, but isn't over-hyped. Sort of like Breezeblocks and The Love Club, it keeps everything fun and light, but doesn't take away from what you're trying to accomplish. 

These are the ten songs I usually listen to to keep my stuff together. You should give them a go. You can thank me later.

Lead Image Credit: Alvaro Serrano via Unsplash

Rachel Loia - Ramapo College

Rachel is a freshman studying biology at Ramapo College of New Jersey. She also loves writing and uses it as an excuse to not do schoolwork. Instagram: @rachloia