by Rachel Loia

8 Tips To Make Getting Straight A's More Attainable

By Rachel Loia - Jan 11 2017

Alright, so straight A's seem like a lot of work, and granted they are, but there are ways to make it easier for yourself. Seeing as the new semester is right around the corner (or already started!) I thought I'd pass along a bunch of tips and tricks to keeping your grades up. Not to toot my own horn, but what I'm about to tell you seems to work. To help out other overachievers out there, here are eight ways to manage straight A's. 

1. Sleep depending on when you're most productive.

For example, if you're a night person like I am, take naps during the day. This will result in you being awake at night and ready to get stuff done! No matter how much sleep I get, I always feel gross in the morning so I plan accordingly. You produce your best work when you're feeling your best. 

2. Stop watching Netflix. Seriously.

Do I need to elaborate? You know you shouldn't. 

3. Use the writing aids provided by your school.

Most campuses have a writing center where you can go and get your papers revised. A lot of my friends have used the one at my school and it's boosted their grades so much. It's a life saver, and if your college has one, don't let those services go to waste. 

4. Use Chegg services.

Chegg offers tutoring services online. Here you can do a personalized search for what you need help with exactly. It does cost money, but it's completely worth it, especially if you're struggling with a specific class. 

5. Try not to use caffeine during planned study/work session.

Caffeine, just like sugar, ends in a crash. To keep yourself awake throughout the session try and take breaks to do some jumping jacks to get your endorphins flowing instead. Caffeine should be for the mornings when you're trying to get yourself to class. Here are some other drinks you can try. 

6. Search through Youtube videos.

Confused about something and don't want to ask for help? Youtube is your best friend. People post so many videos that seem useless until you actually need them. Quantum theory? There's a video for that. How to write a decent paper? There's a video for that too. A good channel that offers these types of videos for free would be Khan Academy.

7. Rewrite notes.

Tedious, but this will help you learn the mass amount of information from that 3-hour lecture you had at the crack of dawn.  Here's a study on how writing affects our brain and its ability to process and hold onto information. 

8. Find a good environment for studying.

If you want to feel good when working, make sure you're in a space that makes you feel good. Some of my friends prefer to library while others prefer their beds. Whatever works best for you is the way to go. Western Governor's University did some research on how this is legitimate and can benefit your study habits. 

Credit: Pexels

Hopefully this will help some of you to either keep up your grades or make a turn-around. Good luck and have a great spring semester!

Rachel Loia - Ramapo College

Rachel is a freshman studying biology at Ramapo College of New Jersey. She also loves writing and uses it as an excuse to not do schoolwork. Instagram: @rachloia