by Rachel Loia

8 Ways to Create More Space in a Small Dorm

By Rachel Loia - Jan 20 2017

Not all of us have luxurious-sized dorms to store all of the things we own that we probably don't need. In fact, where I go to school, everyone has access to a private bathroom that is shared between four and six people (depending on what type of housing you have). Because of this, the rooms are tinier than your average dorm. Considering that not all dorms are large enough to comfortably house two people and their friends who happen to crash there every night, it makes sense to try and find new ways to create space. Whether the space is for more useless stuff, or for guests, it can be helpful to any college student. Here are a list of the ways I use to create more room in our room. 

1. Put things under your desk. 

Jeff Sheldon via Unsplash

Most students know to put things under the bed (if you can loft them), but under the desk is a great place for things as well. I stick my slippers under there, or any other comfy shoes, and sometimes my cleaning supplies (e.g. paper towels). 

2. Try and arrange the furniture so there's an open floor plan.

Mine and my roommate's furniture line the walls so the center of the room is completely open. This way, if people come over we're not all squished in between mounds of clothes and a randomly placed bed. 

3. Stack dressers on top of each other.

We stacked our dresses so we could have a place for our shoes in the closet. At first I wasn't sure how well it would work, but after a few months I've realized it's quite convenient. 

4. Open the window and let some light in when the sun's out.

Aily Torres via Unsplash

This just makes everything brighter and open, especially when the light refracts off white(ish) walls. 

5. Keep things clean.

If your room is a mess then there's no tip or trick to create more space other than to clean it. I know, cleaning is not exactly the most exciting ways to spend your time, but if you want more space you have to make some sacrifices. 

6. Storage bins that can be stacked.

These can be put under your bed and carry the miscellaneous items of yours that don't have a home. 

7. Make your desk chair into a sitting chair for guests.

Drape a blanket over the back and add a cute pillow and you have yourself pretty chair. This is mostly to create more seating so people don't have to be on the floor all the time. 

Brooke Lark via Unsplash

8. Leave food supplies on top of the micro-fridge.

Put your forks, knives, spoons, plates, napkins, etc. on top of the handy-dandy micro-fridge you probably purchased. 

By doing this, you should not feel as cramped in your dorm and hopefully be able to invite more people over to hang out and eat ice cream. 

Lead Image Credit: Ali Inay via Unsplash

Rachel Loia - Ramapo College

Rachel is a freshman studying biology at Ramapo College of New Jersey. She also loves writing and uses it as an excuse to not do schoolwork. Instagram: @rachloia