by Rachel Loia

7 Ways to Keep Up With Your Christian Faith in College

By Rachel Loia - Jan 11 2017

If you've clicked on this I'm assuming you're of Christian faith and also currently enrolled in school. Balancing class and a commitment to God can sometimes be a bit tricky, probably leaving you with a guilty feeling or a sort of loneliness that is hard to describe. Spirituality is important for religious people, especially during such a transitional period. Being that college is one huge transitional period, it's quite evident that a connection to one's faith is important. After moving into college I found a handful of ways to keep my Christian faith close to my heart while also managing to be social and get good grades. 

1. Daily Devotion Book

Starting the day with a prayer is the best way to put yourself in a good headspace. There are tons of books that can help. Barnes and Noble has a whole section dedicated to just these sort of books. I highly recommend this one because it's affordable and has really beautiful messages each day. 

2. On-Campus Services

Usually campuses provide religious services for students which are open to everyone. Going to one of those whenever you get a chance can help you stay connected to your faith.

3. Praying

This is the simplest tip on this list because you can do it anywhere. Whenever the thought comes to mind, start to pray. It can be about anything, just as long as you're reaching out and I assure you it will make you feel much closer to God. These are some great prayers to say right before bed that don't take too much time. 

4. Music

Music is so powerful. Whenever I listen to Christian music, I feel less guilty about my busy schedule and more comforted by the fact that I can keep my religion close to me while also doing my work. It's a win-win situation. Some of my favorite artists are Phil Wickham and MercyMe. Their music is available on iTunes, Spotify and the Google Play store. I've linked one of Phil's songs below. 

5. Freeway

This is a sort of group self guided journal/workbook. You can find it here. I'm about halfway through mine and it has honestly made me so happy. I highly recommend it. There's a bunch of activities in it they really help you evaluate your life and if you're happy. Along with that, there is advice for staying connected with your faith and how to trust in God. 

6. Clubs

Campuses across the world have Christian clubs you can join that connect you with people who share the same faith as you. By doing this, you can surround yourself with people who are in similar positions as you and worship together. 

7. Bible Study

Whether you do it on your own or with other people, Bible study is a classic option that can be done in the quiet of your dorm room or an empty chair in the library. What better way to keep your faith than through the word of God? Using a Bible with guided notes or this website, which offers a lot of tips. 

However you decide to keep up with your Christian faith, the effort is what counts the most. In the words of my church, "faith is a journey, not a guilt trip." 

Rachel Loia - Ramapo College

Rachel is a freshman studying biology at Ramapo College of New Jersey. She also loves writing and uses it as an excuse to not do schoolwork. Instagram: @rachloia