by Rachel Loia

7 Ways to Deal With Depression in College

By Rachel Loia - Mar 16 2017

Sadly, a lot of people suffer from depression. In fact, according to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, about 6.7% are Americans suffer from depression. Being that it is common amongst the population, it is no wonder that a significant amount of those suffering are in college. Thanks to research and college student's real experiences with it, there are plenty of ways to cope with this issue while working on your education. Here are the seven ways to deal with depression in college.

1. Counseling 

Credit: Pexels

Most colleges have a counseling center within their health department, which typically is free for full time students. This resource can be very useful when things are getting bad. Don't ever be afraid to reach out to a professional. They are there to help you, and provide you with the support you need. 

2. Consistent Exercise

Credit: Pexels

According to the Mayo Clinic, exercising can help ease the symptoms of depression, but only if you're working out regularly. Keeping your body in shape and releasing endorphins is a great way to combat the blues, so try and make it apart of your schedule. 

3. Balanced Diet

Credit: Pexels

WebMD provides a list of foods that are believed to help with depression. Since there is no specific data supporting certain diets, they cannot say for sure what is best for helping mental health problems. Setting that aside, they do know that the better you eat, the better you feel. 

4. Meditating

Credit: Pexels

Meditating was what my therapist first sent me to do when I started seeing her. It's a way to just focus on being in the moment. Here are some tips on how you can meditate. 

5. Talking to Friends

Credit: Pexels

Being able to be honest with the people you closest to is very helpful. When they know you are struggling they can provide you with emotional support, or at least some understanding as to what's been up with you. 

6. Music

Credit: Pexels

Calming music is amazing. Being able to dig through your own emotions and blah feelings through songs can really help.

7. Medication

Credit: Pexels

If all else fails, talk to your doctor about medication. 

Hopefully these ways can help you get through the day a little easier. From my own experience, it takes a bit of work to find a nice method of staying positive, but if you manage to get there, it can be so relieving. 

Rachel Loia - Ramapo College

Rachel is a freshman studying biology at Ramapo College of New Jersey. She also loves writing and uses it as an excuse to not do schoolwork. Instagram: @rachloia