Display nature fashion person woman
by Rachel Loia

7 Awesome Self Help Books for the College Student

By Rachel Loia - Feb 11 2017

Between socializing and crazy amounts of school work in college, there needs to be time for yourself. The simplest way to do this is through journaling or self help books. I have compiled a list of seven books that my friends and I have really enjoyed. Each one serves a different purpose, whether it be giving you a more positive outlook or understand the things that are bothering you, they are extremely helpful. And yes, all of these are from Urban Outfitters.

1. The Positivity Kit: Instant Happiness on Every Page by Lisa Currie

If you need some more positivity and joy in your life, then check out this book! It will remind you of all the good things. Just going through it can spread some happiness that everyone needs. For example, on one page it has you list your favorite song lyrics to remind you why you love that particular song. The goal is to reinforce a nice mindset as you go about your day. 

Urban Outfitters

2. How To Be Happy (Or At Least Less Sad): A Creative Workbook by Lee Crutchley 

This one is to redirect your attention away from your sadness to try and focus on the better things in life. A lot of the exercises in this book focus around redirecting your thoughts and retraining your brain to not fall into negative thinking patterns. Through this, you can notice when you need to find some more positivity and change your way of thinking. 

Urban Outfitters

3. Pick Me Up: A Pep Talk For Now And Later by Adam J. Kurtz

To remind you that you got this whole life thing. It's all about encouraging you to strive for goals and have some compassion for yourself. Not going to lie, some of the activities are quirky, but it makes it unique. You can find it here

Urban Outfitters

4. I Am Here Now: A Creative Mindfulness Guide And Journal by The Mindfulness Project 

This one is to appreciate the here and now. It's a good way to meditate in the simplest of ways by allowing you to stay in the present. This also helps with stress management and lets you enjoy the simple things that life has to offer without pressure to be perfect. One thing that people struggle with is staying present, so through the intricate coloring and mindful exercises, one can keep themselves from lingering in the past (or possibly even the future). 

Urban Outfitters

5. The 52 Lists Project: A Year Of Weekly Journaling Inspiration by Moorea Seal

Making lists helps organize the mind, which can keep a clear head. This particular book guides you with list making and also inspires you to be productive. It's quite interesting and fun to do! The goal is to have these lists outline your goals, desires and daily routine while also appreciating the life you've already established. 

Urban Outfitters

6. No Worries: A Guided Journal by Robie Rogge & Dian Smith

If you have anxiety, this one will help you break down your worries and cope with them. I like this one because it keeps me calm during my most stressful of times and allows me to distract myself with fun activities. One of the exercises is to list something that's bothering you, explain why and pick apart the situation to better understand things. 

Urban Outfitters

7. Coloring Books

This isn't a necessarily a self help book, but coloring can really calm you down so it made the list. This one's my personal favorite just because it's Bob's Burgers and there's not as many intricate patterns to worry about. Too much detail can either make or break coloring. You can find it here

Urban Outfitters

Hopefully these can help you de-stress and have time for yourself. My friends and I have used some of these and would highly recommend them. Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to relaxation, so hopefully one of these books can help you.

Rachel Loia - Ramapo College

Rachel is a freshman studying biology at Ramapo College of New Jersey. She also loves writing and uses it as an excuse to not do schoolwork. Instagram: @rachloia