Display bookz
by Rachel Loia

5 Reliable Places To Sell Your Textbooks

By Rachel Loia - Mar 26 2017

Buying textbooks every semester is quite pricey. People spend anywhere from $50-$1000 and usually don't see that money come back. For those of us who have to shell out that money all on our own, it can be a bit stressful. The only light at the end of the tunnel is being able to sell those textbooks back. After doing some research online, here are a handful of safe places that students can sell them to get money for the next load of books. If you do not use these places, be wary of what you do use. 

1. Barnes and Noble

A lot of times people don't think of this beloved franchise as a place to purchase and sell textbooks, but it is! Their only stipulation is that you have $10 worth of books to sell, which isn't a bad deal. All you have to do is put the ISBN number into their website. Not only is it easy to get a quote on your books, but fast, too. From there, they will give instructions on how to get the books to them. 

2. Textbook Rush

Textbook Rush is really cool because they pay for the shipping! All you need to do is get a quote, like with Barnes and Noble, print out their free shipping label and send it on its way. You can choose to be paid in cash, store credit or by PayPal account. 

3. BookScouter

What makes BookScouter different from the others is that they compare prices so you can get the most money for your books. In total, they compare prices from 40 vendors to ensure customer satisfaction. They also provide free shipping, so if you're looking to get the most bang for your buck, you should try out BookScouter. 

4. Chegg

Chegg is a fan favorite because they always seem to have students' backs with textbooks. Honestly, I love Chegg for its cheap book prices. Selling books seems to be just another perk to their company. Their process works the same as BookScouter's does, which is simple and easier for those of you trying to sell. 

5. Half Price Books

Credit: Unsplash

I have been a fan of Half Price Books ever since I started buying my young adult novels from there. Now, it seems as though they are useful in other ways too. Unfortunately for this one you have to be in store in order to sell your books. 

These are the safest and most reliably reviewed places to sell your textbooks. I highly recommend them for the end of the semester, especially if you will be taking classes in the coming one, as well. Good luck with your textbook adventures and remember to look at all your options before making a decision that is right for you. 

Rachel Loia - Ramapo College

Rachel is a freshman studying biology at Ramapo College of New Jersey. She also loves writing and uses it as an excuse to not do schoolwork. Instagram: @rachloia